Chinese scientists find landform left by two million year-old glacial erosionApril 8th, 2010 - 6:51 pm ICT by ANI
Lanzhou (China), Apr 8(ANI): Chinese scientists have said that they have identified a landform left by glacial erosion at least two million years ago on mountains in Gansu Province of the country.
“The erosion, on the southeast edge of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and bordering the western provinces of Gansu and Sichuan, started two million to three million years ago and ended about 20,000 years ago,” Xinhua news agency Shen Yongping, a researcher with the Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, as saying.
Shen and his colleagues from the Lanzhou-based institute are planning to complete the expedition before the end of this year.
Filmmakers from a cultural promotion company in Lanzhou had first discovered the landform, with an average altitude of 3,500 meters atop the Zhagana Mountains, in 2007.
Shen further said he visited the site last year and saw U-shaped valleys, steep ridges and enlarged hollows.
“These are typical landscape features formed by glacial erosion,” he added. (ANI)
- Ancient bird fossil found in China - Aug 19, 2011
- Astronomical observatory to come up in Tibet - Apr 13, 2012
- 7,844 dead or missing in China disasters in 2010 - Jan 15, 2011
- Wind 'can be 10 to 100 times more effective in eroding mountains' - Mar 29, 2011
- China to build 30 radiation monitoring stations - May 19, 2012
- 24,000 Chinese Haj pilgrims to visit Mecca in 2010 - Nov 02, 2010
- Earliest Chinese version of Quran found in China - Dec 18, 2011
- Chinese arrested after 17 years for murder - Dec 27, 2011
- Climate change threatening Qinghai-Tibet plateau - Mar 27, 2010
- Scientists complete sequencing Tibetan antelope genome - Dec 25, 2009
- Qinghai-Tibet railway carries 6.5 mn people in 2011 - Jan 03, 2012
- Chinese jets train over Tibet - Mar 22, 2012
- Two Tibetans set themselves on fire in China - Jun 21, 2012
- Ship sinks as soon as it is launched - Oct 12, 2011
- Sandstorm in China hits over six mn people - Apr 26, 2010
Tags: altitude, arid regions, chinese scientists, engineering research institute, filmmakers, glacial erosion, lanzhou china, million years, promotion company, qinghai tibet, researcher, sichuan, southeast edge, steep ridges, tibet plateau, two million, typical landscape, valleys, western provinces, xinhua news agency