Chinese president, Canadian PM discuss strategic tiesSeptember 9th, 2012 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Vladivostok, Sep 9 (IANS) Chinese President Hu Jintao met Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper in this Russian city Sunday to discuss the development of strategic partnership between their two countries.
The two leaders met on the sidelines of the Economic Leaders’ Meeting of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), which convened in the Russian far-eastern city Saturday and Sunday, reported Xinhua.
Hu said he and Harper reached consensus on a number of major issues at the G20 summit in Los Cabos, Mexico.
The Chinese president appreciated Harper’s efforts to promote the Canada-China friendly cooperation in various fields.
Harper said Canada and China have further cemented their trade and economic relations as well as mutual investment after forging the strategic partnership.
The two countries are make an assessment of the complementarity between their two economies, Harper said, adding that a bilateral agreement on foreign investment protection will be inked Sunday.
Following the meeting, the two sides are expected to sign the Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement, Chinese diplomats said.
China and Canada announced the conclusion of negotiations on the deal in February, when Harper visited China.
The China-Canada relations have made steady progress since the two countries established diplomatic ties in 1970. They decided to upgrade their relations to the strategic partnership during Hu’s visit to Canada in September 2005.
The two countries have enlarged cooperation in the fields of trade and economy, energy and resources, education, culture, and law enforcement in recent years.
- Canada to strengthen strategic ties with China - Jan 12, 2012
- Chinese, Mexican presidents discuss ties - Jun 18, 2012
- Canadian PM heads to China - Feb 07, 2012
- Putin to meet Clinton for Syria discussions - Sep 07, 2012
- Chinese president arrives in Hawaii for APEC meeting - Nov 11, 2011
- Chinese president reaffirms support to Europe in debt crisis - Aug 31, 2012
- China seeks closer ties with Germany - Feb 03, 2012
- Chinese, US presidents meet on bilateral ties - Jun 20, 2012
- Important for China to communicate with US: Hu - Nov 13, 2011
- Hu, Putin discuss bilateral cooperation, strategic tie-ups - Oct 12, 2011
- Canada hosts Chinese president ahead of Indian PM (With Image) - Jun 25, 2010
- Chinese President Hu urges U.S. Congress to facilitate bilateral relations - Jan 21, 2011
- China talks energy, power cooperation with Pakistan - Jun 07, 2012
- China, US should promote peace in Asia-Pacific: Hu - May 03, 2012
- Chinese fishing ships detained by Russia - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: asia pacific economic cooperation, bilateral agreement, canada relations, canadian prime minister, canadian prime minister stephen harper, chinese diplomats, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, diplomatic ties, economic leaders, hu jintao, los cabos, los cabos mexico, pacific economic cooperation, president hu jintao, prime minister stephen harper, resources education, russian city, strategic partnership, trade and economy