Chinese police arrest Christians during Easter serviceApril 25th, 2011 - 12:13 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr 25 (ANI): Chinese police have detained dozens of Christians who were trying to hold an outdoor Easter Sunday service on a banned site.
Security forces clashed with followers of a growing underground Protestant movement that was blocked from moving into a new meeting hall near Beijing, leading to three weeks of confrontation with the communist authorities.
According to the Telegraph, Shouwang Church leaders had issued a “fire and brimstone” cry for the congregation to worship outside the building even if it meant arrest and prosecution. The worshippers from the church were arrested and taken away in buses.
“Between 20 and 30 followers were taken away,” said Pastor Jin, who has been under house arrest for the past two weeks.
Up to 500 members of the Protestant house church movement, unregistered assemblies of worshippers that the government bans, have been detained in recent weeks.
Yesterday’s arrests were a continuation of the authorities’ increase in repression of dissenters to stop any chance of a revolution such as those seen in North Africa and the Middle East. (ANI)
- Chinese Police halt unapproved church service, detain worshipers - Apr 11, 2011
- Fear of uprising may affect Easter celebration in China - Apr 18, 2011
- Russian opposition activist seek asylum in Ukraine - Aug 14, 2012
- 20 churches face demolition in Indonesia - Jun 13, 2012
- Obama attends historic Washington church on Easter - Apr 25, 2011
- China jails five underground church leaders - Nov 27, 2009
- Britain bans entry of US pastor who threatened to burn Quran - Jan 20, 2011
- Jindal signs controversial guns in church law - Jul 08, 2010
- Crystal Cathedral's senior pastor Sheila Schuller Coleman is all set to start a new church - Mar 12, 2012
- Anger in Russia as Pussy Riot jailed - Aug 18, 2012
- Nearly 100 anti-government protesters detained in Russia (Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- US Muslims call for more protection amid mosque controversy - Sep 02, 2010
- 12 Chinese cops punished over murder - Jun 09, 2012
- Kenyan football lovers keep off pubs during Euro final - Jul 02, 2012
- Pastor Creflo Dollar denies attacking daughter - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: authorities increase, chinese police, church leaders, communist authorities, dissenters, easter service, easter sunday, easter sunday service, fire and brimstone, government bans, house arrest, jin, meeting hall, new meeting, north africa, police arrest, protestant movement, security forces, site security, worshippers