Chinese police apologizes for arresting bloggerApril 18th, 2009 - 5:41 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr. 18 (ANI): A Chinese police officer has publicly apologized for arresting a blogger, who wrote against a local party for illegally acquisitioning farmland.
“I would like to apologize to Wang and his family as I am partly responsible for the incident. There was not enough evidence to arrest Wang Shuai on defamation charges,” the China daily quoted Qin Yuhai, Director of Henan Provincial Public Security Bureau, as saying.
The 24-year-old Shanghai resident had accused the city government of Lingbao, his hometown in Henan province, of illegally acquiring farmland.
Wang said he had reported the city government’s misuse of farmland for developing an industrial zone, to the local Land Administration Bureau. Wang received no response from the authority even after six months, and so had decided to express his views on his blog.
The Lingbao police traveled to Shanghai and arrested Wang on March 6. He was detained for eight days on charges of defamation, but was later released on bail.
“One can only be charged for defamation when the accusation is completely made-up and is intended to harm the public. Wang’s action doesn’t match any of the criteria,” Qin said.
Later the Municipal Public Security Bureau of Lingbao issued a press release saying that the department will send someone to apologize to Wang personally.
Wang will be compensated as per the State Compensation Law, the release stated.
“The personnel responsible for his detention will be punished. We recognize that the Internet is the ‘new channel’ for public opinion,” Quin said. (ANI)
- Fugitive found working as prison guard in China - Sep 30, 2011
- Lawyer, shown on TV in sex scandal, wants apology - Sep 28, 2011
- Chinese top cop faces trial for graft, abuse of power - Sep 18, 2012
- Chinese top cop faces trial for bribe, abusing power (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Senior Chinese police official sacked over torture death - Mar 02, 2010
- Man jailed wrongly, gets $129,800 compensation - Aug 31, 2010
- Civil servants in China to get ethics training - Nov 03, 2011
- Brother turns himself in China toll evasion case - Jan 16, 2011
- Banda rape: CBI books BSP legislator - Sep 22, 2011
- 2G: Behura's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Man abducted 30 years ago reunited with parents - Dec 13, 2010
- Inspired by action movie, Chinese man bombs bank van - Dec 19, 2011
- Seven charged with causing deadly China fire - Jul 25, 2011
- Chinese official jailed for 15 years for graft - Feb 20, 2012
- Oz Govt. issues formal apology to Indian-origin Dr. Haneef over wrongful arrest - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: accusation, administration bureau, beijing, blogger, china daily, chinese police, city government, compensation law, defamation, eight days, farmland, industrial zone, land administration, old shanghai, police officer, public opinion, public security bureau, quin, shuai, state compensation