Chinese official suspended for beating air stewardessSeptember 4th, 2012 - 1:29 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 4 (IANS) A senior official in China’s southern metropolis of Guangzhou has been suspended for allegedly beating an air attendant, sources said.
Fang Daguo, a member of the Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China’s Yuexiu District Committee, faced fierce public backlash after reportedly beating a China Southern Airlines air hostess during a flight from Hefei to Guangzhou Wednesday, reported Xinhua.
He has been suspended while the local government authorities carry out an investigation.
Fang and his wife, who both smelt strongly of alcohol, had a dispute with the air hostess after the latter suggested they put their carry-on luggage elsewhere as no room could be found in the overhead compartments, a passenger told Xinhua.
Fang grabbed the air hostess’s arms after yelling at her, the eyewitness said. “I had no idea if the grab hurt or not, but I saw scratches on her arms.”
The air attendant posted photos on Sina Weibo, China’s popular equivalent of Twitter, showing bruises on her arms and neck and also her torn clothes.
The publicity department of Yuexiu district said Friday that an investigation showed Fang’s wife had a brawl with the air hostess, but denied that Fang beat her.
Fang and his wife apologized to the air hostess for their acts, the department said in a statement.
- Chinese micro-blog launches paid membership - Jun 19, 2012
- Six held for sexual assault at China water festival - Aug 24, 2012
- Chinese social media users 'happier' than Westerners - Jun 28, 2012
- China probes forced abortion case after national outrage - Jun 14, 2012
- Bogu Kailai sentenced to death with reprieve - Aug 20, 2012
- Grief in China as girl who was run over dies - Oct 21, 2011
- Facebook IPO boosts growth of Chinese sites - Feb 03, 2012
- Earthquake shakes China's Yunnan province - Sep 07, 2012
- Chinese street artist catapults to fame via microblog - Oct 18, 2011
- Chinese politician's wife charged with murdering Briton - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: air hostess, air stewardess, beijing, bruises, carry on luggage, china southern airlines, chinese official, communist party of china, district committee, government authorities, guangzhou, hefei, overhead compartments, public backlash, publicity department, scratches, southern metropolis, standing committee, torn clothes, xinhua