Chinese official given death for taking bribeApril 27th, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 27 (IANS) A 60-year-old former political advisor in a Chinese province was Friday sentenced to death for taking around $2 million in bribes and sanctioning projects in return. This was the second death sentence for taking bribes in the country announced in a week.
Song Chenguang, former senior political advisor of eastern Jiangxi province, was sentenced to death with two years of probation by a people’s court in Tai’an city of Shandong province, Xinhua reported.
Song, the former vice chairman of the Jiangxi Provincial Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), was convicted of taking over 12 million yuan (around $2 million) in bribes from 1998 to 2010.
In exchange, he favoured 18 companies and individuals in getting projects, gaining sales permission and getting promotions, the court said.
Given the amount of money he accepted as bribe, Song must receive severe punishment, the court said. But the two-year probation was granted because he confessed to his crimes.
Song was expelled from the Communist Party of China and removed from office in July last year.
Earlier this week, an official in Shanghai was also sentenced to death for taking bribes exceeding 15 million yuan (around $2.5 million).
Chen Meng, former deputy chief of Shanghai’s Putuo district, was sacked in September last year, when disciplinary inspectors found him guilty of bribery.
Prosecutors said the 49-year-old Chen took advantage of his position between 2003 and 2011 to help others win construction contracts.
- Chinese official gets death term for graft - Apr 24, 2012
- China official sacked, arrested for taking bribe - Sep 30, 2011
- China jails soccer officials for corruption - Feb 18, 2012
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- Chinese official jailed for 15 years for graft - Feb 20, 2012
- Former police chief gets death for corruption - Jul 23, 2010
- Three more added to the list of corrupt referees - Dec 22, 2011
- Former Chinese soccer chief goes on trial for graft - Apr 25, 2012
- Five jailed for duping Chinese civil service candidate - Apr 26, 2012
- Indian man robbed in China - Apr 26, 2011
- China sentences 58 in mine landslide case - Sep 30, 2010
- 60-year-old 'stud' in pregnancy trouble! - Mar 21, 2012
- Chinese swindles over $474,000 with bank passwords - May 21, 2012
- Chinese court sentences ex-police chief to death - Apr 15, 2010
- Former Chinese football bosses jailed for bribery - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: amount of money, bribe, bribery, bribes, chinese official, chinese province, communist party of china, construction contracts, cppcc, death sentence, deputy chief, jiangxi province, meng, political consultative conference, provincial committee, second death, severe punishment, shandong province, xinhua, yuan