Chinese official bought 37 homes with graft moneyOctober 18th, 2011 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 18 (IANS) A Chinese official is being tried in a court for embezzlling over $6 million and purchasing 37 apartments with the cash, a media report said.
Song Jun, a former senior official of state-owned shipping giant COSCO’s Qingdao branch, faces charges of embezzlement, taking bribes and perjury, reported Shanghai Daily.
Song allegedly conspired with a Taiwanese businessman to buy and loan cargo ships between October 2006 and June 2008. He embezzled $6 million during this period, claimed prosecutors.
Besides investing in the stock market and purchasing luxury cars, he bought 37 apartments in Beijing, Tianjin and Qingdao, the media report said.
- Chinese official sentenced for embezzlement - Jun 05, 2012
- Former Chinese soccer chief goes on trial for graft - Apr 25, 2012
- 74-year-old Chinese woman jailed for graft - Jun 05, 2012
- Chinese official given death for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012
- Hong Kong tops Chinese competitive city list - May 21, 2012
- $77 million embezzled from Beijing-Shanghai high-speed rail project - Mar 19, 2012
- China jails soccer officials for corruption - Feb 18, 2012
- Ship sinks as soon as it is launched - Oct 12, 2011
- $8 mn burglary exposes corrupt Chinese official - Dec 22, 2011
- Corrupt Chinese man hid in hills for eight years - Nov 15, 2011
- Chinese official gets death term for graft - Apr 24, 2012
- Chinese official jailed for 15 years for graft - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran central bank deputy head held for embezzlement - Oct 30, 2011
- Around the world in 80 days for 1 mn yuan - Mar 15, 2012
- Two Chinese officials executed for bribery - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: 6 million, apartments, beijing, bribes, businessman, cargo ships, chinese official, embezzlement, giant, investing in the stock market, luxury cars, money, perjury, prosecutors, qingdao, shanghai, shipping, song jun, tianjin