Chinese Navy plans to develop new generation of warships, aircraftApril 16th, 2009 - 3:40 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 16 (ANI): The Chinese Navy plans to develop a new generation of warships and aircraft as part of the country’s effort to upgrade the maritime security defence system.
Admiral Wu Shengli outlined key missions, present and future, in an interview with Xinhua News Agency on the eve of the 60th anniversary of the Chinese Navy next Thursday.
Admiral Wu said the navy will develop weaponry such as large combat warships, submarines with longer range and stealth capability, supersonic cruise aircraft, more accurate long-range missiles, deep-sea torpedoes and upgraded information technology, among others.
Senior Colonel Li Jie, a researcher at the Chinese Navy’s Military Academy, said the “large warships” Admiral Wu mentioned do not mean only aircraft carriers, but he did not elaborate.
The media has reported that China will have an aircraft carrier “very soon”.
East China fleet commander Admiral Xu Hongmeng said last month during the national legislature’s annual session that the country possessed both the ability and motivation to build a carrier.
Admiral Wu, a member of the Central Military Commission, China’s top military body, also said the navy will greatly strengthen its logistics and support facility system to improve far-sea repair, delivery, rescue and replenishment capacities.
“The navy will establish a maritime defense system that corresponds with the need to protect China’s maritime security and economic development,” he said.
Peng Guangqian, a Beijing-based military strategist, said Admiral Wu’s remarks are more than routine remarks to mark the navy’s landmark anniversary.
Admiral Wu also said the navy is stepping up exchanges with foreign navies to tackle non-traditional security threats. (ANI)
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- China tests new aircraft carrier - Sep 01, 2011
- China's defensive military policy won't change - Jul 29, 2011
- Antony witnesses Indian Navy's battle readiness exercise - Feb 08, 2012
- `China doesn't want carrier competition with India' - Aug 30, 2012
- Indian warships wrap up China visit - Jun 19, 2012
- China still needs Russia's help to make a military plane engine - Dec 25, 2010
- China stepping up 'carrier killer,' missile tests, warns US expert - Dec 29, 2010
- China's first aircraft carrier begins sea trial - Aug 10, 2011
- India plans to operate two carriers any given time: Navy chief - Jun 25, 2012
- China developing carrier-killer missile - Dec 29, 2010
- 'US focus on Asia-Pacific will help India contain China' - Jun 08, 2012
- India flags maritime troubles with China at meet with Japan - Nov 03, 2011
- Pak's arms purchases from China go into overdrive - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: 60th anniversary, central military commission, china fleet, chinese navy, defence system, east china, fleet commander, landmark anniversary, maritime security, military body, military strategist, national legislature, navies, range missiles, replenishment, security threats, stealth capability, traditional security, warships, xinhua news agency