Chinese Navy has no plan for overseas bases: Ex-deputy chiefMarch 11th, 2010 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Mar.11 (ANI): The Chinese Navy will not seek to build military bases overseas, a retired senior officer has said amid media reports that the country harbours such “ambitions”.
Rear Admiral (retired) Zhang Deshun, who was till recently the deputy chief of staff of the PLA navy, said a naval force with advanced armaments and enhanced capabilities will contribute more to UN-led anti-terrorism, anti-piracy and disaster-relief missions.
“A larger navy with a greater reach does not mean it will seek to play the role of “world police”, the China Daily quoted Deshun, as saying.
“The military’s overseas missions, such as the anti-piracy operation, are authorized by the UN. They aim to protect merchant ships and aid vessels as well as their crews from pirates off the Somali coast,” he said.
“We have no agenda to set up military establishments, or threaten establishments of other nations overseas,” Zhang said, making it clear the PLA navy “has no plans, nor is there a necessity, to establish overseas military bases”. (ANI)
- India seeks UN-led anti-piracy force - May 12, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- At India's call, UNSC condemns hostage taking by Somalian pirates - Apr 12, 2011
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Navy rushes warship to Somali coast - Apr 18, 2011
- India tweaks navy's anti-piracy rules of engagement (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Jan 29, 2011
- India rules out military intervention in sailors hostage crisis - Apr 19, 2011
- Larger deployment of forces will prevent pirate attacks: Navy Chief - Jan 31, 2011
- India proposes norms for Indian Ocean anti-piracy patrols - Apr 13, 2012
- Two daring naval raids may change tactics to fight Somali pirates - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,