Chinese man jailed for 8 years illegally exporting US military equipmentJanuary 27th, 2011 - 3:59 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.27 (ANI): A US court has sent a Chinese man to jail for eight years for illegally exporting military electronics components to a China.
Zhen Zhou Wu, 46, is said to have made multiple visits to the United States to buy components used in radars and missile systems which he then exported to China via Hong Kong using forged papers to evade the US arms embargo to China imposed after the 1989 Tiananmen Square killings.
According to The Telegraph, he is the second Chinese to be sentenced in America this week for illegally transferring military technology to China.
Earlier, a 66-year-old former B-2 Stealth Bomber engineer was jailed for 32 years for selling military secrets to be used in the development of a Chinese cruise missile.
A US Congressional commission on US-China affairs warned in 2009 that Chinese spying in American was becoming increasingly aggressive and “growing in scale, intensity and sophistication.”
Zhen’s sentencing comes just days after China’s president Hu Jintao completed a state visit to American which analysts billed as chance to “re-set” US-China relations that have become severely strained over the past year.
China has persistently claimed it intends to have a “peaceful rise”, however the US has expressed growing concerns that However, China’s rapid military modernization - including developing new fighters, an aircraft carrier and a carrier-killing missile - appears at-odds with that stated policy. (ANI)
- Stealth Fighter Jet From China Being Tested For Induction? - Jan 06, 2011
- China knows how to tackle stealth aircraft - Sep 20, 2012
- China jails two for leaking secrets - Oct 24, 2011
- US downplays authenticity of 'Chinese stealth aircraft prototype' report - Jan 07, 2011
- Indian-American engineer gets 32 years for selling secrets to China - Jan 25, 2011
- US confronts China over North Korean rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2012
- China refutes delivering missile launchers to North Korea - Jun 13, 2012
- China's stealth fighter based on US nighthawk - Jan 24, 2011
- China developing carrier-killer missile - Dec 29, 2010
- China important for US business growth: Expert - Oct 07, 2011
- China's apparent 'stealth aircraft' may pose "terrifying" challenge to US fleet: Experts - Jan 08, 2011
- Is China driving US exports? - Mar 30, 2012
- US will counter China's military build-up: Gates - Jan 09, 2011
- China declines supporting cyber attackers - Mar 30, 2012
- US underestimated China's military modernization: Gates - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: 1989 tiananmen square, aircraft carrier, arms embargo, b 2 stealth bomber, china relations, chinese man, congressional commission, cruise missile, electronics components, hu jintao, killings, military electronics, military equipment, military modernization, military secrets, military technology, missile systems, president hu jintao, radars, zhou