Chinese mafia ring busted, 58 heldJune 19th, 2012 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 19 (IANS) A total of 58 ex-convicts of a “mafia-style” gang have been detained following a massive police crackdown in southern China.
The gang was busted in Conghua city in Guangdong province.
The gang was involved in casino operations, drug trafficking, extortion and assault, the Shanghai Daily reported Tuesday. A total of 740 police officers took part in the crackdown.
The gang was based in Conghua for over five years. To win building projects, they allegedly occupied construction sites, beat up the workers and smashed their equipment, police said.
The gang also sold drugs to night clubs and acted as loan sharks, people who grant loans at exorbitant interest rates.
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- China executes mafia-style gang leader - Dec 13, 2011
- Nearly 1,400 criminals arrested in China - Nov 22, 2011
- Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in China - Jan 21, 2012
- Three gang bosses sentenced to death in China - Oct 22, 2009
- Chinese court backs death sentence for gang boss - May 25, 2010
- Mafia is now 'Italy's No.1 bank' - Jan 11, 2012
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- China destroys 100,000 seized guns - Jun 13, 2012
- Over 20 held in China drug bust - Mar 15, 2012
- Chinese police bust trafficking rings, rescue 89 infants - Jul 27, 2011
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- Chinese 'Tantric sex centre' shut down - Mar 22, 2012
- Italian drugs, arms racket busted, 20 held - Jun 16, 2012
- China busts gun trafficking ring - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: beijing, building projects, casino operations, chinese mafia, construction sites, drug trafficking, drugs, ex convicts, exorbitant interest rates, extortion, guangdong province, loan sharks, loans, mafia style, night clubs, police crackdown, police officers, shanghai, southern china