Chinese jets train over TibetMarch 22nd, 2012 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 22 (IANS) J-10 fighters of the Chinese Air Force have conducted ground attack training over the Qinghai-Tibet plateau, the first operation of its kind, it was reported Thursday.
According to a report and photos released by the PLA Daily, the ground crew of the J-10 regiment fueled the fighters and loaded ammunition on the 3,500-meter-high plateau at temperatures below -20 C.
The fighters scrambled and attacked the targets with conventional bombs and laser-guided bombs. Sorties were made both during the day and at night, Global Times said.
Wednesday’s reports were the second time that state media released photos of the J-10 fighter using laser-guided bombs.
In a joint massive live fire drill in October that incorporated air forces and air defense units as well as armour and artillery units, also held in Tibet, the J-10 showed off its precise ground attack ability, the ministry of defense said on its website.
The J-10’s activities on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau have been relatively frequent in the past months, it said.
The J-10’s primary air combat weapon, the active radar homing mid-range missile dubbed PL-12, is a fourth generation radar-homing air-to-air missile.
- Prince Harry to learn how to fight in Apache helicopter - Mar 13, 2011
- Czech Republic may sell combat jets to Iraq - Apr 19, 2011
- Russia signs $35 mn missile deal with Malaysia - Apr 20, 2012
- Israel seeks advanced missiles for new gunboats - Jul 09, 2012
- Astronomical observatory to come up in Tibet - Apr 13, 2012
- Chinese women fly most advanced fighter jet - Aug 18, 2012
- Sukhoi T-50 stealth fighter undergoes trial - Aug 21, 2012
- NATO running short of ammunition to carry out Libyan operations - Apr 16, 2011
- Russia places order for 30 fighter aircraft - Mar 22, 2012
- IAF to soon decide on bidder for Mirage upgrade - Jun 15, 2011
- Britain to buy laser-guided bombs - Apr 04, 2012
- Prince Harry qualifies as Apache pilot, can return to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 10, 2011
- Four nations start Mekong river patrol - Dec 11, 2011
- Remote-controlled RAF drones killing Taliban kingpins at rate of one per week - Oct 28, 2010
- Prince Harry qualifies as an elite Apache helicopter pilot - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: air combat, air forces, air missile, ammunition, armour, artillery units, chinese air force, combat weapon, conventional bombs, fire drill, generation radar, global times, ground crew, high plateau, laser guided bombs, mid range, ministry of defense, qinghai tibet, range missile, tibet plateau