Chinese gets jail term for Internet pornographyFebruary 17th, 2012 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 17 (IANS) A man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for operating a pornographic website in China via a US-based web server, authorities said Friday.
China has clamped down on the spread of pornography through Internet and mobile phones, the National Office Against Pornographic and Illegal Publications said in a statement issued Friday.
Sheng Jiarong, from Qingdao city in east China’s Shandong province, was found to be operating a pornographic website via a US server for the purpose of reaping advertising revenues, reported Xinhua citing the statement.
His website was found to have 703 pornographic photos, 9,111 erotic e-novels and 99 videos during an online crackdown campaign in early 2011.
A district court in Qingdao sentenced Sheng to 10 years in prison and imposed a fine of 20,000 yuan (about $3,100).
- Chain of Chinese porn websites shut - Aug 25, 2011
- 31 held in China for running porn website - Jul 19, 2012
- China bans 43 online pornographic novels - Jun 07, 2011
- China jails soccer officials for corruption - Feb 18, 2012
- China exposes 19 websites in latest crackdown on pornography - Dec 17, 2010
- China shuts down 60,000 porn sites - Nov 24, 2010
- Fake Chinese scribes get seven years in jail - Oct 15, 2011
- 2,000 Chinese awarded for reporting online porn - Mar 05, 2012
- Chinese porn industry in crisis after crackdown - Nov 11, 2010
- Chinese police nab 62 suspects in porn website bust - Jul 10, 2010
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Croatian priests held for acquiring child porn - Oct 22, 2011
- Former Chinese soccer chief goes on trial for graft - Apr 25, 2012
- 99 Chinese websites found offering porn novels - May 11, 2011
- China launches first book on marine life - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: 10 years, advertising revenues, authorities, beijing, crackdown, east china, internet pornography, jail term, novels, pornographic photos, pornographic website, shandong province, web server, xinhua, yuan