Chinese fishing ships detained by RussiaJuly 18th, 2012 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 18 (IANS) Two Chinese fishing ships have been detained off Russia’s far-eastern region, Chinese officials in Russia have said.
According to the Chinese consulate in the port city of Vladivostok, one ship was carrying 17 fishermen while the other had 19 people on board, the China Daily reported Wednesday.
Both ships were from Weihai city in the eastern province of Shandong. They were detained at the Nakhodka port.
The coastal service of Russia’s Primorsky region said the ships were seized because they had entered Russia’s exclusive economic zone.
RIA Novosti said a Russian coast guard vessel, the Dzerzhinsky, fired warning shots and then opened fire to stop one Chinese fishing ship that was fishing for squid.
None of the Chinese fishermen were killed or wounded during the incident, it said.
- Fishing boats with 200 people missing off China coast - Aug 06, 2011
- Two ships collide in sea off China - Nov 29, 2010
- Russian found with radioactive car - Apr 10, 2012
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Indian naval ships in Russia - Apr 18, 2011
- North Korea releases detained Chinese fishermen - May 21, 2012
- Search on for missing Chinese sailors in Russian waters (Lead) - Feb 19, 2009
- Russia sends 50 tonnes of mineral water to quake-hit Japan - May 18, 2011
- Chinese fishing vessel returns with 22 men short - Aug 13, 2011
- Several missing as vessels capsize in China - Apr 27, 2010
- Asia-Pacific key to Russia's future: Putin - Sep 06, 2012
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- Chinese fishermen detained in Sri Lanka released - Aug 07, 2012
- Russia buys fibreglass manhole covers to avoid theft - Jun 28, 2011
- Russia, US to hold anti-terror drill - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: beijing, china daily, chinese consulate, chinese fishermen, chinese officials, coast guard vessel, coastal service, dzerzhinsky, eastern province, economic zone, far eastern region, fishing ship, fishing ships, nakhodka, novosti, primorsky region, shandong, squid, vladivostok, warning shots