Chinese firm recalls contaminated baby foodSeptember 12th, 2008 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 12 (Xinhua) Sanlu Group, a leading Chinese dairy-products maker, Friday said it was recalling some 700 tonnes of its baby milk powder from market as it found some of the products were contaminated with a chemical content that might cause health hazards.The company said it found the milk product, manufactured before Aug 6, were contaminated with tripolycyanamide or melamine, a chemical raw material that could lead to stone formation in the urinary tract of the human body.
Currently some 700 tonnes of the milk products are in circulation in the country, and the company has decided to recall all those products.
This year, at least 59 cases of kidney stone formation in infants were reported in northwestern Gansu and other provinces. Investigations showed that most of the baby patients had drunk the Sanlu formula.
At least one baby in Gansu had died as a result of kidney stones.
The health ministry, after investigation, also said it strongly suspected that Sanlu, based in Shijiazhuang of Hebei province, had produced the milk powder contaminated by the chemical.
The ministry has launched a nationwide investigation into infant cases that might have resulted from drinking the formula, and is organising experts to work out schemes for treatment.
China’s consumer product quality watchdog, the Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, has also sent a team to Sanlu’s factory to investigate how the products got contaminated.
It launched a nationwide check of other baby food quality.
The health ministry urged the public to immediately stop consuming the formula and go to doctors if they find babies who have drunk it have difficulty in urinating.
It also directed local medical facilities to immediately report similar cases and has notified the development to the World Health Organization and relevant countries.
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- China warns of tough action on baby food contaminators(Lead) - Sep 12, 2008
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- Contaminated baby food in China causes kidney stones - Sep 13, 2008
- Poisoned milk traced to dairy farmers in China - Sep 13, 2008
- Two Chinese babies dead after consuming tainted milk powder - Sep 15, 2008
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011
- China's contaminated baby food toll rises to four (Lead) - Sep 18, 2008
- Six stand trial in China's milk powder scandal - Dec 26, 2008
- Chinese Milk Found Tainted With Melamine - Jul 12, 2010
- Liquid milk sold by three Chinese firms contaminated - Sep 19, 2008
- Two executed in China for contaminating milk - Nov 24, 2009
- Ministry clears Chinese company's milk of causing early puberty - Aug 16, 2010
- Chinese authorities reopen probe into melamine death - Oct 08, 2008
Tags: baby food, baby milk powder, chemical content, chemical raw material, chinese firm, difficulty in urinating, food quality, gansu, health hazards, health ministry, kidney stone, kidney stones, medical facilities, milk product, milk products, quality supervision, shijiazhuang, stone formation, world health organization, xinhua