Chinese female combat pilots to debut at National Day ParadeApril 2nd, 2009 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Jinzhou (China), April 2 (Xinhua) China’s first batch of female combat pilots will debut at the National Day Parade in October this year, an official said Thursday.
Sixteen female fighter jet pilots will participate in this year’s National Republic Day Parade. They are the country’s first batch of female combat pilots, the military said.
Female pilots recruited earlier by the Air Force have been assigned only for cargo aircraft duties.
The pilots, aged 21 to 24, were graduated from the Third Army Aviation Institute in Jinzhou.
Chinese astronauts Zhai Zhigang and Liu Boming took flying lessons at the institute. All Chinese astronauts were selected from among the country’s jet fighter pilots.
Zhang Jianqi, deputy chief commander of China’s manned space project, said early in March that the country was selecting a new batch of astronauts, and may include its first Chinese female taikonaut.
China has so far recruited 545 female pilots, of which 52 are currently in service.
- In a first, Chinese women enrol to become astronauts (Lead) - Sep 17, 2009
- China to send first woman astronaut into space - Jun 15, 2012
- Liu is first Chinese woman in space - Jun 16, 2012
- China launches Shenzhou-9 with first woman astronaut - Jun 16, 2012
- Chinese women fly most advanced fighter jet - Aug 18, 2012
- Chinese woman may reach space by 2012 - Apr 30, 2011
- China may put first woman in space by 2012 - Jul 09, 2009
- China recruits new astronauts - May 07, 2010
- Joining Chinese space mission doesn't come easy! (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- Joining Chinese space mission doesn't come easy! - Mar 25, 2012
- China may send women to space in 2012 - May 01, 2011
- Chinese female astronaut candidate was a hero pilot - Jun 11, 2012
- China mulls sending female astronauts into space - Oct 31, 2011
- China launches spacecraft on spacewalk mission - Sep 25, 2008
- State honours for China's spacewalk astronauts - Nov 07, 2008
Tags: army aviation, aviation institute, boming, cargo aircraft, chief commander, chinese astronauts, combat pilots, female combat, female pilots, fighter jet, fighter pilots, jet fighter, jet pilots, liu, manned space, national day parade, republic day, space project, third army, xinhua