Chinese defence minister in US to boost military tiesMay 11th, 2012 - 1:22 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 11 (IANS) Chinese Defence Minister Liang Guanglie Thursday visited the United States Military Academy (USMA) at West Point, presenting to its library more than 200 copies of Chinese history and strategy books to boost military ties.
At the book-presenting ceremony, Liang said his visit aims at implementing the important consensus reached between Chinese President Hu Jintao and US President Barack Obama on developing bilateral cooperative partnership, and positive results have been achieved to this effect.
Liang said his visit to the US is very successful in terms of deepening mutual understanding, strengthening mutual trust, and further promoting mutual cooperation, reported Xinhua.
On his part, USMA Superintendent Lt. Gen. David Huntoon said “United States Military Academy and the People’s Liberation Army have had a number of very important military-to-military exchanges for many years”, and Liang’s efforts “to build greater trust and mutual cooperation between the US and China have been extraordinary”.
Liang also spoke in Chinese with almost 30 USMA cadets who can speak Mandarin and presented gifts to them.
Liang’s West Point visit wrapped up his six-day trip to the US that began May 4, the first by a Chinese defence minister in nine years.
He has met his US counterpart Leon Panetta, and visited the US Southern Command in Miami and other US military bases during the six-day sojourn.
- Chinese, US defence chiefs hold talks - Sep 18, 2012
- China, Bangladesh pledge closer military ties - Sep 15, 2011
- China, US vow stable military ties - May 02, 2012
- 'China, India military exchanges back on track' - Sep 03, 2012
- Joint US-Sino efforts only way to develop 'healthy and stable military' ties, says China - Jan 10, 2011
- Chinese, US defence ministers meet to strengthen military ties - Jan 10, 2011
- China, US agree to reduce "miscalculation" risk between two armed forces - Jan 11, 2011
- India, China to resume military exercises; Antony to visit Beijing (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Chinese defence minister to visit India - Aug 30, 2012
- `Chinese military diplomacy to reduce India's concerns' - Sep 04, 2012
- Sri Lanka, China seek to strengthen military ties - Sep 01, 2012
- Indian, Chinese defence ministers hold 'fruitful' talks - Sep 04, 2012
- High expectations from Chinese minister's India trip: Daily - Sep 05, 2012
- India, China to resume joint military exercises (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- India, China to resume joint military exercises (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: barack obama, chinese defence, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, cooperative partnership, defence minister, history and strategy, hu jintao, huntoon, leon panetta, liberation army, military exchanges, military ties, mutual cooperation, president hu jintao, states military academy, strategy books, united states military academy, us counterpart, usma cadets