Chinese dairy firms say sorry for melamine-tainted milkJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 2 (Xinhua) Through a New Year text message sent to millions of mobile phone subscribers, a group of Chinese dairy firms has apologised to people for the country’s biggest milk scandal that killed at least six babies and made 290,000 ill.”We are deeply sorry for the harm we have brought to children and to society,” said the message by the dairy firms led by the Sanlu Group, which is at the centre of the tainted milk controversy.
“We offer our sincere apology and plead for forgiveness,” the message said.
In their message, the firms also promised to compensate sickened children and cover all expenses for any after-effects of the melamine-contaminated milk. The 22 firms have established a compensation fund for victims.
Melamine, an industrial compound used in plastic and fertiliser, was added to milk to cheat protein tests.
The companies also pledged to get rid of all the substandard products and open themselves up to the public.
Sanlu’s former board chairwoman and general manager Tian Wenhua and three other executives stood trial in Hebei province Wednesday and pleaded guilty to producing and selling fake or sub-standard products.
The scandal was exposed in September 2008.
Medical organisations across the country had provided free diagnosis and treatment to affected babies and would continue to do so until no new cases were reported, according to the health ministry.
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Chinese police arrests six suspects, 41 others in melamine milk scandal - Aug 21, 2010
- China dairy association claims 90% of tainted milk victims compensated - Jan 24, 2009
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- Ex-boss of Chinese firm involved in milk scandal appeals for overturning life sentence - Feb 02, 2009
- China's tainted milk companies to compensate victims - Dec 27, 2008
- Melamine-tainted milk: China begins trial of dairy firm officials - Dec 31, 2008
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011
- Six stand trial in China's milk powder scandal - Dec 26, 2008
- Two get death sentence in China milk scandal (Lead) - Jan 22, 2009
- China bans more milk products tainted with melamine - Jan 25, 2010
- Four arraigned in China's baby food scandal - Dec 29, 2008
- Cancer-causing chemical found in baby milk in China - Jul 23, 2012