Chinese court upholds death penalty for drug dealerMarch 28th, 2008 - 7:04 pm ICT by admin
Kunming (China), March 28 (Xinhua) The provincial court here Wednesday upheld the death sentence given to a Taiwanese drug smuggler by an intermediate court last year. The Yunnan Provincial Higher People’s Court Wednesday endorsed the ruling of the Intermediate People’s Court awarding the sentence to Chung Wan-yi, court officials said.
Chung and his 11 accomplices were arrested in February 2007 in the capital of southwest China’s Yunnan province, for operating a Kunming-based drug trafficking ring.
Chung monitored drug peddlers in Thailand. The narcotics were shipped, concealed in furniture, to Taiwan.
Chung and others appealed the ruling at the provincial court.
The death sentence will now go to China’s Supreme Court for final approval.
- Chinese gets death sentence for killing 11 people - Jul 28, 2012
- China executes mafia-style gang leader - Dec 13, 2011
- Chinese businesswoman's death sentence upheld - Jan 18, 2012
- Two get death penalty for selling 46 infants - Sep 28, 2010
- Another drug peddler gets death sentence - Mar 26, 2012
- Woman sentenced to death for trafficking 49 children - Apr 17, 2010
- China court upholds death sentence for billionaire - Jul 14, 2010
- Chinese court backs death sentence for gang boss - May 25, 2010
- Three executed over fatal fire in China - Mar 29, 2012
- French citizen gets death for drug trade in China - Aug 09, 2010
- Three get 16-year jail for drug smuggling - Jul 30, 2011
- Four drug gang members get death penalty in China - Dec 26, 2010
- Man gets death for terror attack in China - Mar 27, 2012
- Two drug traffickers receive death penalty in China - Aug 08, 2010
- Four killed in China bus crash - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: accomplices, china march, chinese court, chung wan, court officials, death penalty, death sentence, drug peddlers, drug smuggler, drug trafficking, final approval, furniture, intermediate court, kunming china, narcotics, provincial court, southwest china, supreme court, xinhua, yunnan province