Chinese court solves relationship riddleApril 1st, 2011 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, April 1 (IANS) A court in China has helped settle a dispute over ownership of assets shared by two lovers who have broken off. They shared their relation on the premise that the woman would support her beau and he would accompany her all day when she stayed in Shanghai.
Fu Zhouyu, who is a Chinese national, in 2005 became boyfriend of wealthy Chinese-American Yang Chung-Chih, elder to him by 20 years.
Yang spent 580,000 yuan ($88,607.76) on a BMW and bought an apartment with a down payment of 560,000 yuan($85,552.32). Both the car and the apartment were registered in Fu’s name, Shanghai Daily reported.
The apartment was registered in Fu’s name because foreigners are only allowed to buy one apartment in the city, Shanghai’s Putuo District People’s Court heard.
When Yang came to Shanghai during the World Expo last year, Fu asked to break off because another woman was willing to pay him five million yuan for his companionship.
Fu told Yang their relationship could continue if she agreed to pay him five million yuan ($763,860).
Yang sued to get back both the car and the apartment.
Fu, however, claimed that the car was a gift from Yang and that they co-owned the apartment. Although Yang made the down payment, he had paid to decorate and furnish the flat, the court heard.
After hearing the case, the court ruled the BMW car belonged to Fu because he used it the most. Yang agreed to accept 220,000 yuan ($33,609.84) as reimbursement for car purchase payments.
The apartment registered in Fu’s name was ruled as Yang’s although she was told to pay 370,000 yuan ($56,525.64) in compensation for decoration costs.
- 12-year jail for swindler in China - Apr 07, 2012
- BMW fined for Chinese rocket image in ad - Dec 24, 2011
- Chinese swindles over $474,000 with bank passwords - May 21, 2012
- Chinese official gets death term for graft - Apr 24, 2012
- Chinese firm told to pay up for selling old car - Mar 03, 2012
- Licence plates costlier than cars in China - Feb 20, 2012
- Upset at parents' divorce, girl hammers stranger's car - Sep 14, 2010
- Woman gets share of late lover's $5 mn lottery prize - May 31, 2011
- 60-year-old 'stud' in pregnancy trouble! - Mar 21, 2012
- Chinese official given death for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012
- BMW car in news for wrong reasons in China (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Shanghai residents being duped into buying retired taxis - Dec 14, 2010
- Indian man robbed in China - Apr 26, 2011
- Six Chinese jailed for cheating American - Mar 12, 2012
- Beijing limits house purchasing for market control - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: apartment, april 1, assets, bmw, bmw car, car purchase, china, chinese american, chinese court, companionship, foreigners, premise, purchase payments, relationship, riddle, shanghai, two lovers, world expo, yuan