Chinese basketball star back in training after surgeryJuly 10th, 2008 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 10 (Xinhua) Chinese basketball and NBA star Yao Ming has resumed training after surgery and he looks good ahead of the Beijing Olympics. “Yao just came back to the team. We are better than ever compared to the last couple of years,” said Yi Jianlian, another NBA star from China, at a press conference in New Jersey.
“He (Yao) is much better right now, he’s very healthy right now,” he said. “We practiced a couple of days before I came here.”
Speculation was on about the possibility of Yao attending the Beijing Olympics after he suffered a stress fracture in his left foot. He was forced to suspend his season with NBA Houston Rockets for the injury.
Last month, he said he had 80 percent recovered and expected to play in mid-July.
Yi, who was acquired by the New Jersey Nets from the Milwaukee Bucks last month, said at the press conference that the Olympic basketball tournament was his current priority.
Asked about his expectation on the grand sport event to be held in his hometown, Yi said he believed the Chinese men’s team could be “at least top eight” and his team would “try to get maybe top six or something”.
In the first Olympic game, Chinese men’s basketball team will play with the US. “It’s a very tough game but I’m excited and looking forward to playing the US,” said Yi.
- Mavericks sign Chinese forward Yi Jianlian - Jan 07, 2012
- Yi Jianlian to carry flag for China in London - Jul 26, 2012
- Michael Jordan sues Chinese firm - Feb 23, 2012
- China's star basketballer rules out London Olympics comeback - Sep 29, 2011
- Height is no problem in basketball, says NBA shorty - Jan 09, 2012
- Former NBA star Yao Ming eyeing film business - Jan 31, 2012
- Yao, Yi to carry Chinese basketball hopes in Olympics - Jul 20, 2008
- Pau Gasol replaces Nadal as Spanish flagbearer - Jul 21, 2012
- Promising Chinese basketball star left out from Olympic squad - Jul 10, 2012
- NBA legend Abdul-Jabbar pays visit to Flamengo - Jan 28, 2012
- Chinese fans wonder if Yao Ming's baby will be an American - Mar 04, 2010
- After China, NBA sets sight on India to promote basketball - Sep 11, 2010
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- American to take over as head coach of China's national men's baseketball team - Apr 30, 2010
- Spain names basketball squad for London Olympics - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: basketball star, basketball team, basketball tournament, beijing olympics, chinese basketball, chinese men, couple of days, expectation, grand sport, houston rockets, left foot, milwaukee bucks, nba star, new jersey nets, olympic basketball, olympic game, sport event, stress fracture, xinhua, yao ming