Chinese Australian woman spy meets PM Rudd and ex-PM HowardMarch 29th, 2009 - 1:02 pm ICT by ANI
Brisbane, Mar. 29 (ANI): A Chinese-Australian woman, who is at the centre of a top-level espionage inquiry met both Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and former PM John Howard at a private dinner here in 2004.
Rudd is believed to have talked at length in Mandarin with Helen Liu, who is at the centre of allegations that the nation’s top spy organisation, the highly-secretive Defence Signals Directorate (DSD), tapped into the laptop of Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon, without his knowledge.The DSD allegedly discovered Liu’s bank account details in Mr Fitzgibbon’s computer.
The minister, who denies any wrongdoing, rents a Canberra flat from Ms Liu, a family friend for more than 16 years.The Inspector General of Intelligence and Security, Ian Carnell, has now launched a formal investigation into claims that DSD spied on the minister and all “related matters”.
It’s now alleged that Rudd attended the 2004 dinner with Liu, at the invitation of another major ALP donor and known Labor supporter, Brisbane property developer Maha Sinnathamby, whose personal fortune is estimated at 571 million dollars.Sinnathamby’s spokesman confirmed yesterday that he had known Rudd for more than 20 years and had dined privately with him on a number of occasions, as well as at numerous larger public functions, but could “not recall” the 2004 dinner allegedly attended by both Liu and Rudd.
Rudd’s spokesman refused to deny the claims that he had dined with Liu in 2004, saying only: “The Prime Minister attends hundreds of functions and meets thousands of people every year.”The undated photograph of Howard with Liu appears to have been taken at a public function.
Howard is known to have enduring and good relations with the Sydney Chinese business community. He had a large number of Chinese residents in his former seat of Bennelong. (ANI)
- Oz PM emails, mobile phone repeatedly targeted by Chinese spies - Apr 03, 2009
- Australian minister resigns - Jun 04, 2009
- Kevin Rudd to challenge leadership - Feb 24, 2012
- Australian Chinese businesswoman says she's done nothing wrong - Mar 31, 2009
- Suspect Chinese spies hack Oz PM Gillard's emails - Mar 29, 2011
- Chinese minister sacked from party post - Feb 12, 2011
- Keep off Tibet, Taiwan, says Hu as US presses rights issues - Jan 21, 2011
- Brisbane floods: Oz Foreign Minister Rudd treated for foot injury - Jan 16, 2011
- 29-year-old man arrested over York University student webcam death - Apr 21, 2011
- Chinese railway minister sacked for indiscipline - Feb 25, 2011
- Boyfriend watches on webcam as girlfriend murdered 11,000 miles away - Apr 20, 2011
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Hollywood stars feature on the guest list of the Chinese state dinner - Jan 20, 2011
- A dancing Farooq Abdullah on Facebook video - Apr 23, 2011
- Liu Xiang equals men's 110m hurdles world record - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: australian woman, bank account details, brisbane property, carnell, chinese business community, chinese residents, defence minister, defence signals directorate, family friend, fitzgibbon, formal investigation, kevin rudd, labor supporter, maha, personal fortune, private dinner, property developer, public functions, top spy, undated photograph