Chinese artist Ai Weiwei released on bailJune 22nd, 2011 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 22 (IANS) Chinese artist Ai Weiwei who was detained on tax evading charges about two months ago was Wednesday released on bail, Xinhua reported.
The Beijing police department said Ai was released on health grounds and also because he promised to pay his taxes.
Police said the Beijing Fake Cultural Development Ltd., a company Ai controlled, had evaded taxes and destroyed accounting documents.
- Chinese activist Hu Jia released from jail after serving sentence - Jun 27, 2011
- Chinese Police halt unapproved church service, detain worshipers - Apr 11, 2011
- Anish Kapoor slams China over artist's detention - May 11, 2011
- China demolishes famed artist Ai Weiwei's Shanghai studio over political activism - Jan 13, 2011
- Hilary Clinton criticizes China's 'worsening' human rights record - Apr 09, 2011
- Dissident artist loses confidence in Chinese legal system following "fake" charges - Jan 29, 2011
- Protesters in Germany demand release of Ai Weiwei - Apr 18, 2011
- Chinese artist Ai Weiwei under house arrest - Nov 06, 2010
- Bob Dylan avoids controversy during his first-ever gig in China - Apr 07, 2011
- Probe if MCOCA can be slapped on Hasan Ali: Court - Oct 01, 2011
- Chinese police crack down on fake training centres - Apr 19, 2012
- China jails quake activist for five years for subversion (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- China jails quake activist for five years on subversion charges - Feb 09, 2010
- Film on Little Mermaid's journey to China - Mar 29, 2010
- China to get tough with fake goods makers - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , ,