Chinese American gunman kills 13, self in New York immigration centerApril 4th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Apr.4 (ANI): New York Police have revealed that the gunman, who killed 14 people and wounded 40 others at an immigration center here on Friday, was a Chinese American.
Police identified him as 41-year-old Jiverly Wong, a former IBM employee. Binghamton Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said the rampage “obviously was premeditated” and began with the shooting of two receptionists. One died. The other was critically wounded, but she pretended to be dead and was able to crawl to a desk and call 911 when the gunman walked down a hallway.
Television reports said that Wong was carrying a satchel containing ammunition slung around his neck. Police found two handguns - a 9mm and a .45-caliber, a torch and a hunting knife.
Immigrants were preparing for citizenship tests at the time of the shootout.
Zikuski said 37 people were rescued from the building, and four of them were wounded and in critical condition. More than two dozen had hid in a boiler room until police said it was safe to come out.
The authorities have searched Wong’s home and taken three computer hard drives, a brown canvas rifle case, a briefcase, a small suitcase and several paper bags.
Police did not mention a motive. U.S. Rep. Maurice Hinchey, whose district includes Binghamton, said the gunman had recently been let go from IBM in Johnson City. He said it was not clear of the gunman’s connection to the center. IBM couldn’t immediately confirm that.
Wong blocked the back door of the building with his car, then stormed in through the front entrance about 10:30 a.m. while firing a high-powered gun. Several people were taken hostage.
The gunman wore a bright green nylon jacket and dark-rimmed glasses as he executed victim after victim, according to local media. His body was found on the first floor of the American Civic Association.
Wong was found dead by the SWAT team with a self-inflicted gunshot wound in an office. (ANI)
- Gunman on rampage in New York kills 13, shoots himself (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- Pak Taliban chief Mehsud claims responsibility for New York shoot-out - Apr 04, 2009
- FBI rejects Baitullah's claim on New York terror attack - Apr 04, 2009
- Taliban says US will 'pay heavily' for drone attacks in Pak - Apr 07, 2009
- Gunman behind New York immigration center massacre was a coward' - Apr 05, 2009
- Mass shootings have claimed hundreds of lives in US - Aug 14, 2012
- No terrorist group behind New York shootout: Police - Apr 05, 2009
- 'New York killer was depressed and angry over losing job' (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- New York killer's motive still a mystery - Apr 04, 2009
- New York shooter identified - Apr 04, 2009
- 13 dead, 26 wounded in New York shooting rampage (Third Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- Gurdwara shooter acted alone: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- Victims of New York shooting came from eight countries - Apr 07, 2009
- Gunman kills four in US - Aug 30, 2010
- US rejects Taliban claim for NYK attack - Apr 04, 2009
Tags: american civic association, american police, boiler room, chief joseph, chinese american, citizenship tests, critical condition, hunting knife, immigration center, maurice hinchey, new york police, nylon jacket, paper bags, receptionists, rifle case, rimmed glasses, self inflicted gunshot wound, small suitcase, swat team, television reports