China’s Xinjiang region promotes Mandarin to fight terrorismJune 5th, 2009 - 4:42 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, June 5 (ANI): Teaching Mandarin lessons in the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region is helping the people to fight terrorism, claimed Nur Bekri, chairman of the region.
“Terrorists from neighboring countries mainly target Uygurs that are relatively isolated from mainstream society as they cannot speak Mandarin. They are then tricked into terrorist activities,” chinadaily.com.cn quoted Bekri as saying.
Mandarin is now being taught in pre-school and kindergarten to equip children with a second language.
Foreign media, however, has criticized the policy.
“There had been demand for Mandarin language lessons from ethnic minority students who wanted to be able to communicate with other Chinese,” Bekri said, adding that students had not been forced to learn the language.
The autonomous region has a population of just over 20 million, with 60 per cent being ethnic minority groups, mostly Uygur and Kazhak.
Bekri said the second language policy was primarily planned to improve the standard of Mandarin among ethnic minority graduates to make them more competitive at the workplace. (ANI)
- Terrorists not to impact ties with Pakistan: China - Mar 07, 2012
- Xinjiang beckons Indian filmmakers - Nov 03, 2011
- 18 die as coach plunges into gorge in China - Mar 11, 2011
- China vows crackdown over Xinjiang attacks - Aug 02, 2011
- Xinjiang governor to build business links with India - Nov 01, 2011
- China blames terrorists trained in Pakistan for Xinjiang attack (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- China builds train link to 'sea of death' - Jul 23, 2012
- China blames Pakistan trained terrorists for Xinjiang attack - Aug 01, 2011
- Map row: Chinese envoy asks journalist to shut up - Nov 03, 2011
- China to recruit 8,000 police officers - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 70 suspected of abducting kids nabbed in China - May 23, 2011
- 'Post riots, China's Xinjiang region still remains unstable' - Dec 25, 2010
- Stone tablet of Qing Dynasty uncovered in Xinjiang - Dec 26, 2010
- Four killed, 20 injured in W. China ethnic riots - Jul 06, 2009
- India, China to hold border talks in November, Vietnam on agenda - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: beijing, china, ethnic minority students, kindergarten, language lessons, language policy, mainstream society, mandarin language, minority groups, population, pre school, second language, target, terrorism, terrorist activities, terrorists, uygurs, xinjiang region, xinjiang uygur autonomous region