China’s Three Gorges Dam withstands peak flood testJuly 20th, 2010 - 3:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 20 (ANI): The Three Gorges Dam on China’s Yangtze River was holding up against its first major flood-control test Tuesday, officials of the China Three Gorges Corporation said.
The dam project stood its biggest flood-control test at 8 a.m. Tuesday since completion, as the flow on the river’s upper reached a top speed of 70,000 cubic meters a second, Xinhua reported.
The flow was 20,000 cubic meters more than the flow during the 1998 floods that killed 4,150 people and the highest level since the dam was completed last year.
The flow peak is however still below the record high of 70,800 cubic meters per second recorded in 1981, a spokesman with the corporation said.
All ferry services were halted at the Three Gorges Dam on Monday and the 30-km exclusive road along the river had been opened to vehicles carrying shipping cargoes, said an official of the Three Gorges Navigation Administration.
Services would be resumed after the influx decreased from 70,000 to 45,000 cubic meters per second, the official said. (ANI)
- China's Three Gorges dam withstands peak flood test - Jul 20, 2010
- Three Gorges Dam stands test of another peak flood - Jul 28, 2010
- China prepares for massive flood - Jul 19, 2010
- Three Gorges Dam Passes Its First Major Test - Jul 21, 2010
- Huge Chinese dam experiences big flood - Jul 24, 2012
- 700 die as China reels under worst floods in decade (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- 78,000 tonnes of garbage collected from Three Gorges Dam - Dec 12, 2010
- Torrential rains in China kill 50, 15 missing - Jul 11, 2010
- China braces for floods - Jun 04, 2012
- China may witness heavy floods this year - Jun 03, 2012
- China to build four super dams on Jinsha river - Jun 22, 2011
- China diverts river water to ease drought - May 19, 2011
- Drought affects 35 million in China - May 30, 2011
- China facing worst flood threat in 12 years - Jul 15, 2010
- China fears worst flood in 12 years - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: administration services, cargoes, china, control test, cubic meters, dam project, ferry services, flood control, floods, gorges dam, influx, New Delhi, shipping, spokesman, three gorges, top speed, xinhua, yangtze river