China’s tainted milk companies to compensate victimsDecember 27th, 2008 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 27 (Xinhua) Victims of contaminated milk in China would get compensation from the dairy firms involved in the scandal, China’s Dairy Industry Association announced here Saturday.”The enterprises offered to shoulder the compensation liability. By doing so, they hope to earn understanding and forgiveness of the families of the sickened children,” the association said.
The contaminated milk scandal came to the surface in September after babies who were fed with milk powder, produced by the Hebei province-based company Sanlu Group, developed kidney stones.
In all, 22 dairy firms sold products tainted with the industrial chemical melamine, which is used in the manufacture of plastics.
Victims will get a one-time cash payment, the association said, without giving the specific amount of the compensation.
“The money for compensation is in place now and will soon be handed to the people who have custody of the sickened children through various channels,” the association said.
The Chinese health ministry said that the melamine contaminated milk killed six babies. Another 294,000 infants suffered from kidney stones and urinary problems.
The scandal led to the resignation of China’s chief quality supervisor Li Changjiang. Several officials were sacked, many were arrested and the government ordered an overhaul of the country’s dairy industry.
- Chinese companies involved in milk scandal to compensate victims - Dec 27, 2008
- China dairy association claims 90% of tainted milk victims compensated - Jan 24, 2009
- China bans more milk products tainted with melamine - Jan 25, 2010
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- China launches stringent regulation on melamine to ensure food safety - Sep 26, 2010
- Chinese Milk Found Tainted With Melamine - Jul 12, 2010
- China sets limit on melamine in baby food - Apr 21, 2011
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- Melamine-tainted milk: China begins trial of dairy firm officials - Dec 31, 2008
- Six stand trial in China's milk powder scandal - Dec 26, 2008
- Chinese police arrests six suspects, 41 others in melamine milk scandal - Aug 21, 2010
- China reveals about 300,000 children were made ill by tainted milk - Dec 02, 2008
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011