China’s stealth fighter based on US nighthawkJanuary 24th, 2011 - 12:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 24 (IANS) The new stealth fighter developed by China is based on the technology used in the US-made Nighthawk jet which was shot down over Serbia during the 1999 Kosovo War, Croatia’s former military chief has said.Admiral Davor Domazet-Loso, who was Croatia’s chief of staff during the Kosovo War said he believes that China has formulated the technology acquired by chinese spies from the wreckage of American F-117 Nighthawk, the world’s first stealth fighter which was undetectable by radar, according to the Telegraph.
The Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter was unveiled this month ahead of a visit to Beijing by the US defence secretary Robert Gates. The timing of its maiden flight was perceived as a deliberate attempt by China to showcase its military might.
“At the time, our intelligence reports told of Chinese agents criss-crossing the region where the F-117 disintegrated, buying up parts of the plane from local farmers,” the admiral was quoted as saying. “We believe the Chinese used those materials to gain an insight into secret stealth technologies.”
The Nighthawk was the world’s first stealth fighter, planes that are almost invisible to radar and so able to operate over enemy territory with near impunity. At the time, the US claimed that the downing of one by a Serbian anti-aircraft missile was pure luck.
Under its former President Slobodan Milosevic, Serbia routinely shared captured NATO military equipment with China and Russia, the report said.
China’s relations with Russia were strained last year after Moscow accused Beijing of producing near identical versions of its Sukhoi Su-27 fighter and Su-33 naval fighter.
- China used downed US F-117 Nighthawk to reverse engineer its first stealth jet - Jan 24, 2011
- China develops new stealth fighter using downed US bomber - Mar 14, 2011
- China knows how to tackle stealth aircraft - Sep 20, 2012
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- China conducts first test-flight of stealth plane - Jan 11, 2011
- China's apparent 'stealth aircraft' may pose "terrifying" challenge to US fleet: Experts - Jan 08, 2011
- Lockheed denies media reports, says F-22 not joining final day of Aero India 2011 - Feb 11, 2011
- Russia's 5G fighter makes first demonstration flight - Aug 18, 2011
- Russia close to signing Su-35 fighter deal with China - Mar 06, 2012
- Stealth Fighter Jet From China Being Tested For Induction? - Jan 06, 2011
- Japan picks F-35 as next-generation fighter jet - Dec 20, 2011
- China still needs Russia's help to make a military plane engine - Dec 25, 2010
- Online images show test flight of Chinese stealth fighter - Jan 11, 2011
- US will counter China's military build-up: Gates - Jan 09, 2011
- Russia to increase number of fighters in test flights - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: chengdu, chinese agents, chinese spies, deliberate attempt, f 117, kosovo war, london jan, loso, maiden flight, military chief, military equipment, new stealth fighter, president slobodan, robert gates, secretary robert, slobodan milosevic, stealth fighter planes, stealth technologies, sukhoi su 27, us defence secretary