China’s Shaolin temple in world heritage listAugust 2nd, 2010 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 2 (IANS) The Shaolin temple, China’s ancient Buddhist monastery and the home of martial art kung fu, has now become a UNESCO world heritage site.
Nestled in Mount Songshan of Central China’s Henan province, the monument of Zen Buddhism was added to the World Heritage List during a meeting of UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee in Brasilia, Brazil Sunday, China Daily reported.
The new addition became China’s 39th site in the list which include 28 cultural sites and seven natural tourist spots in the country.
UNESCO said the historical architecture complex stands out for its great aesthetic beauty and its profound cultural connotations.
The complex is composed of 11 traditional structures, including the Shaolin temple, the Observatory, Songyang Academy, Taishi Towers and Zhongyue Temple.
With a history of more than 2,000 years, these monuments feature various architectural styles brimming with ancient Chinese culture.
They provide the world with a glimpse into ancient Chinese religion, philosophy, customs and scientific development, said Yang Huancheng, an expert of ancient architecture.
Shaolin temple’s abbot Shi Yongxin said the UNESCO recognition was a privilege.
“For the monks, living in a world-recognised heritage site is a wonderful experience, but at the same time, our responsibility to protect the temple becomes even graver,” he said.
“I’m also looking forward to the addition of Shaolin kung fu into UNESCO’s intangible heritage list,” Shi added.
- China unveils 100 new books on Buddhist medicine - May 29, 2011
- India-China martial arts meet at Shaolin temple - Jun 21, 2010
- China's kung fu town to build global martial arts conglomerate - Aug 04, 2011
- Shaolin priest not involved in sex scandal, says China - Jun 19, 2011
- Shaolin Temple monks take on tourist guide's role - Mar 26, 2012
- Six Hindu temples nominated for World Heritage List - Dec 18, 2010
- Visitors to ancient Shaolin temple decline - Feb 06, 2012
- 'CEO monk' set to franchise Kung Fu Shaolin shrine - Nov 25, 2008
- Unesco adds nine properties into world heritage list - Jun 28, 2011
- Chinese ancient liquor breweries eye heritage list - Jul 11, 2012
- Islamists attack Timbuktu world heritage site - Jul 01, 2012
- UNESCO to assess damage to Hindu temple in Cambodia - Feb 09, 2011
- Punjab, Unesco to join hands for cultural preservation - Feb 26, 2011
- Jantar Mantar in Jaipur makes entry into UNESCO list - Aug 04, 2010
- China's Silk road temple conservation held up as model - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,