China’s second richest man held for share price manipulationNovember 24th, 2008 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 24 (DPA) Chinese authorities have detained a consumer electronics’ tycoon reputed to be the country’s second wealthiest person over alleged share price manipulation, state media said Monday.Stock market investigators detained Huang Guangyu, the head of Gome Electrical Appliances, for questioning last week, Caijing magazine and other media reported.
The investigations relate to manipulation of share prices last year for a company run by Huang’s elder brother, Huang Junqin, the magazine quoted unidentified sources as saying.
Huang Guangyu, 39, also has extensive property and private equity interests, with estimated personal assets totalling $6.3 billion, according to last month’s annual “China rich list” published by the Hurun Report.
Hong Kong-listed Gome made no immediate comment on the report, but its shares were suspended Monday.
The official Xinhua news agency quoted a police spokesman as saying the case was “under the direct charge of the ministry of public security,” which declined to comment.
The Huang brothers were also investigated in 2006 for securing loans illegally, but cleared of the charges in January 2007, the agency said.
US-based Forbes magazine recently estimated Huang Guangyu’s assets at about $2.7 billion, ranking him second in its list of China’s wealthiest people. Shanghai-based agricultural feed tycoon Liu Yongxing is the richest persons of China with a net worth of three billion dollars, according to the Forbes list.
- Chinese tycoon sentenced to 14 years in prison - May 18, 2010
- Ex-chief of China's top electronic goods firm faces trial - Apr 22, 2010
- Trial starts for China's once-richest man - Apr 23, 2010
- Chinas richest man under police probe - Nov 24, 2008
- China's wealthy get wealthier - Sep 23, 2011
- China's Zhang Yin is world's richest woman - Oct 13, 2010
- China's once richest tycoon gets 14 years in prison for corruption - May 18, 2010
- China billionaire rich list grows to 49 more - Oct 29, 2010
- 11 of the world's top 20 wealthiest self-made women are Chinese - Oct 13, 2010
- Beverage giant chief becomes China's richest man - Sep 30, 2010
- Car battery tycoon tops China's rich list - Nov 05, 2009
- 83 people on Hurun rich list have $1.5 trillion - Mar 06, 2012
- China's super-rich only second to US - Oct 13, 2009
- Chinese buying 300 sq km of land in Iceland - Aug 31, 2011
- Shanghai - a city with 132,000 millionaires - May 13, 2011