China’s refitted aircraft carrier undergoes sea trialNovember 29th, 2011 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 29 (IANS) China’s refitted aircraft carrier sailed for its second sea trial Tuesday, authorities said.
The ministry of national defense said that prior to sailing, the aircraft carrier had completed all the refitting and testing work as scheduled after its first sea trial in August.
The carrier was originally built by the former Soviet Union which named it Varyag, yet failed to complete the ship’s construction before the collapse of the communist regime in 1991.
The still-unnamed aircraft carrier was an empty shell. Ukraine disarmed it and removed its engines before selling it to China, reported Xinhua.
The vessel, an Admiral Kuznetsov class aircraft carrier which measures 304.5 metres long and 37 metres wide, with a displacement of 58,500 metric tonnes, has been totally refitted for its new role as a research and training platform in China.
The vessel departed for its first trial from a port in Dalian, a city in northeast China’s Liaoning province Aug 10.
Currently, the US, Britain, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, India, Brazil and Thailand, operate a total of 21 active-service aircraft carriers.
- China tests new aircraft carrier - Sep 01, 2011
- China's first aircraft carrier begins sea trial - Aug 10, 2011
- Chinese aircraft carrier nears completion - Aug 02, 2011
- US seeks transparency on China's first aircraft carrier - Aug 11, 2011
- Faulty boilers caused Indian aircraft carrier's trial snags (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- India carrier's trial snags blamed on faulty boilers - Sep 18, 2012
- Russia to build new aircraft carrier after 2020 - Jul 27, 2012
- `China doesn't want carrier competition with India' - Aug 30, 2012
- Refurbished aircraft carrier for India begins sea trials - Jun 08, 2012
- Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin - Oct 13, 2011
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
- Chinese aircraft carrier to serve in South China Sea - Aug 17, 2011
- Indian aircraft carrier's sea trials postponed - May 24, 2012
- India to get Russian aircraft carrier by December - Jan 17, 2012
- China to beef up maritime forces - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: active service, admiral kuznetsov, aircraft carrier, aircraft carriers, authorities, beijing, brazil, class aircraft, collapse, communist regime, displacement, empty shell, former soviet union, liaoning province, metric tonnes, northeast china, russia, sea trial, service aircraft, xinhua