China’s Quanta begins production of 100 dollar laptopNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:16 am ICT by admin
The machine has no moving parts and can be easily maintained. It has a sunlight-readable display that allows children to use it outside and, importantly for areas with little access to electricity, it is ultra low power and can be charged by a variety of devices including solar panels.
One Laptop per Child (OLPC), the group behind the project, said that children in developing countries would begin receiving machines this month
Last month, OLPC received its first official order for 100,000 machines from the Government of Uruguay.
“Today represents an important milestone in the evolution of the One Laptop per Child project,” said Nicholas Negroponte, founder of OLPC.
The organisation had reached the critical stage despite “all the naysayers,” he said.
Since Professor Negroponte first put forward the idea of distributing low-cost laptop to children in developing countries in 2002, the plan has been both praised and mocked.
Although OLPC eventually plan to sell the machines for 100 dollars or less, the current price is 188 dollars.
Initially, the OLPC said that it required three million orders of the XO to make production viable.
Uruguay is the first country to order the machines
Governments were originally offered the machines in lots of 250,000.
So far, however, the organisation’s only confirmed order is from Uruguay. The South American country has ordered 100,000 of the machines with an option to purchase a further 300,000.
Other governments have expressed interest in the machines. (ANI)
- Laptops: Window to the world in rural schools (With images) - Sep 06, 2012
- US-based outfit to distribute three million laptops to poor rural kids - Jul 10, 2009
- Microsoft to finally give software for low-cost laptops - May 16, 2008
- Microsoft Windows to come on low-cost laptops - May 17, 2008
- India developing $10 laptop - Jul 29, 2008
- OLPC's XO Plan Faces Many Challenges - Nov 28, 2007
- MIT project to introduce student laptops in Indian languages - Aug 04, 2008
- Cabinet approves data-sharing policy - Feb 09, 2012
- Child abuse hospitalised 4,500 US kids in one year - Feb 07, 2012
- Enough scope for enhancing India, Uruguay economic cooperation: Anand Sharma - Feb 24, 2011
- 23 countries to participate in machine tool expo - Jan 06, 2011
- Tamil Nadu provides for free cattle, laptops in budget - Aug 04, 2011
- Free laptops will have Tamil Nadu state logo burnt on chip - Jun 18, 2011
- OLPC Extends 'Give One Get One' Until Year's End - Nov 26, 2007
- Alarming number of US kids abused, hospitalised - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: 300, china daily, critical stage, developing countries, governments, importantly, laptop, milestone, moving parts, naysayers, nicholas negroponte, olpc, option to purchase, production line, quanta, solar panels, sunlight readable, uruguay, xo