China’s Liu likely to have surgery on injured footNovember 8th, 2008 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 8 (DPA) The foot injury that forced China’s star hurdler Liu Xiang to withdraw from this year’s Olympic Games is likely to need surgery that could keep him out of competition for six months.Liu, 24, returned to China Wednesday after consulting US medical experts but had still not made a final decision on whether to opt for surgery.
The former 110-metres hurdles world record holder and gold medallist at the 2004 Olympics in Athens had travelled to the US to seek further medical opinions after Chinese doctors advised surgery to repair tendon damage.
“According to experts in the US, the inflammation was caused by calcification in his tendon and most of this can be eliminated by surgery,” Titan Sports quoted Feng Shuyong, the head coach of the Chinese athletics team, as saying.
“He should need about six months to recover,” said Feng, who travelled to the United States with Liu.
“We will proceed very cautiously to reduce any risk of things going wrong. The decision (on surgery) may take some time,” he added.
Liu and his coach Sun Haiping were still hoping they could find an alternative to surgery, China Daily reported.
Liu said on his official website that the US doctors were “optimistic” and that the injury might not be “that serious”.
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympics: Heartbreak for Liu and Idowu in Tuesday's qualification - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Coach worried about Liu Xiang's foot injury - Aug 03, 2012
- Liu Xiang equals men's 110m hurdles world record - Jun 03, 2012
- China's Liu Xiang will be ready for Olympics: Coach - Jul 15, 2012
- Star hurdler Liu Xiang wins Kawasaki meet - May 06, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- Liu Xiang needs to run inside 12.95 for gold: coach - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Chinese hurdler Liu hints London Games his last - Feb 18, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Asian Games close with China dominant as never before (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010