China’s defense policy ‘ensures national security’: OfficialApril 28th, 2011 - 12:37 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr 28 (ANI): The development of weapons and equipment in China is to ensure national security and is not directed against any other country or specific target, said the country’s defense ministry spokesman.
Spokesman Geng Yansheng said the international community should regard weapons tests and equipment upgrades as part of the modernization of the armed forces.
Yansheng’s comments came in response to questions on the second test-flight of the J-20 stealth fighter jet during a news conference in Beijing, The China Daily reports.
He reiterated that China pursues a defense policy, which is defensive in nature and said it is normal for China to develop and upgrade weaponry and equipment in tandem with advancing technology, in line with other countries.
Yansheng added that it is also common international practice to test new weapons and equipment as they undergo development.
The spokesman also confirmed that Chen Bingde, chief of the general staff of the People’s Liberation Army, would visit the United States from May 15 to 22, amid the resumption of high-level military exchanges between the two countries.
“We hope the US can help create a good atmosphere for the healthy and stable development of bilateral military-to-military relations,” he said. (ANI)
- 'China not to participate in arms race' - Feb 24, 2012
- US-China agree on visits by military officials in 2011 - Dec 12, 2010
- 'China will never seek hegemony by force of arms' - Jan 13, 2011
- China criticises Japan's 2011 defence white paper - Aug 04, 2011
- China warns US firms over Taiwan arms sales - Sep 22, 2011
- China not for war in South China Sea - Aug 01, 2012
- China opposes military intervention in South China Sea - Jul 31, 2012
- 'China's military hardware development not aimed at any other country' - Jan 12, 2011
- 'China, India, Japan to cooperate on naval escorts' - Feb 23, 2012
- China opposed "internationalizing" South China Sea issue - Jul 31, 2010
- China's first aircraft carrier begins sea trial - Aug 10, 2011
- China issues White Paper on arms control, peaceful development - Mar 31, 2011
- China developing high-tech weaponry and equipment: White Paper - Mar 31, 2011
- China hikes defence budget, seeks friendly ties with India (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Indian military delegation to visit China (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: advancing technology, beijing, defense ministry, equipment upgrades, general staff, liberation army, military exchanges, military relations, ministry spokesman, modernization, national security, news conference, resumption, second test, security official, stable development, stealth fighter jet, target, test flight, weaponry