China warns of increase in hand-foot-mouth diseaseMay 3rd, 2008 - 4:51 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 3 (Xinhua) China Saturday warned that cases of hand-foot-mouth disease (HFMD) in the country might increase during the peak seasons for the disease in June and July. This year, more incidents of HFMD, caused by Enterovirus 71 or EV71, were reported in Singapore and Taiwan, compared to the corresponding period last year.
In China, HFMD cases were reported in the eastern Chinese province of Anhui and other provinces, according to a government report.
The government has issued a new guideline on the prevention and control of the decease. It has also started new measures to train paediatricians to tackle the disease.
A suspected death from the disease was reported early Saturday in south China’s Guangdong Province.
On Friday, the health authorities in the central Hubei Province announced that they have found around 340 cases of HFMD. However, no deaths were reported.
In Anhui, the toll rose to 22 after another child died in the eastern Fuyang City, local authorities said Friday. The government has urged hospitals to report the disease within 24 hours.
HFMD usually starts with a slight fever followed by blisters and ulcers in the mouth and rashes on hands and feet. It may also cause high fever, meningitis, encephalitis, pulmonary oedema and paralysis in some children.
- Intestinal infection toll mounts to 34 in China - May 09, 2008
- 11,000 hit by hand-foot-mouth disease in China - Mar 31, 2012
- 11 dead in Vietnam from hand-foot-mouth disease - Mar 15, 2012
- Intestinal virus under control but only for now, warn Chinese officials - May 01, 2008
- 28 die in China's hand-foot-mouth disease - May 07, 2008
- Infectious diseases killed nearly 1,700 Chinese in July - Aug 07, 2012
- 200,000 Chinese children suffer from hand-foot-mouth disease - Apr 27, 2010
- Chinese paraglider dies in accident - Jun 05, 2012
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- 56 Cambodian kids die of unknown disease - Jul 07, 2012
- Researchers crack virus behind brain swelling - Mar 06, 2012
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh battles viruses, over 200 dead - Sep 10, 2010
- Viral illness kills 17, affects 35,000 in China - Jul 15, 2012
- Chinese doctors, officials punished for negligence - May 05, 2008
Tags: anhui, central hubei province, chinese province, decease, enterovirus 71, foot mouth disease, government report, guangdong province, hand foot mouth, hand foot mouth disease, health authorities, hfmd, high fever, local authorities, peak seasons, pulmonary oedema, rashes, south china, ulcers in the mouth, xinhua