China to tighten web rules as users cross 500 mnSeptember 12th, 2012 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 12 (IANS) China’s internet regulatory authority has vowed to strengthen management of the web, as the number of internet users in the country climbed to around 540 million, China Daily reported.
By the end of June, more than 270 million Chinese people had opened Twitter-like micro-blogging accounts. The number of internet users climbed to 538 million, the ministry of industry and information technology said.
Minister of Industry and Information Technology Miao Wei said a comprehensive management system will be introduced to include government management, industrial self-regulation and supervision by society on the internet industry.
“While safeguarding a good internet market order, the improved management aims to stop the spread of harmful information online and clean cyber space,” the minister was quoted as saying.
China Daily said an increasing number of Chinese are taking to the web to seek business opportunities or express their views on public issues.
Ministry figures also showed China’s online business transactions exceeded 3.3 trillion yuan (around $520 billion) in the first half of this year, up 14 percent from 2011.
- Give your real name: Beijing to microbloggers - Dec 16, 2011
- Tell your real name: Beijing asks microbloggers (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- 152 mn 3G users in China - May 18, 2012
- Concern over overworked online Chinese shopkeeper's death - Jul 27, 2012
- China looks at convergence of TV, Internet, phone in 2012 - Dec 27, 2011
- China's 'microblog queen' has 5 mn fans - Jan 29, 2011
- Shanghai launches official microblog - Nov 28, 2011
- Facebook IPO boosts growth of Chinese sites - Feb 03, 2012
- China's internet users rise to 513 million (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- China to have 'faster, cheaper' internet by 2015 - Dec 28, 2011
- 16 Chinese websites closed, six detained for spreading rumours - Mar 31, 2012
- Facebook eyeing to re-connect with China? - Dec 23, 2010
- Phones to beat computers for surfing net in China - Jul 03, 2012
- China's telecommunication sector revenue up - Feb 07, 2012
- China not involved in negotiations with Google: Chinese IT Minister - Mar 07, 2010
Tags: beijing, blogging, business opportunities, business transactions, china daily, comprehensive management, cyber space, government management, improved management, internet industry, internet market, management system, miao, minister of industry, number of internet users, regulatory authority, self regulation, trillion, web rules, yuan