China to modernise military: Defence ministerAugust 1st, 2011 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 1 (IANS) China will “steadily” reform its national defence and modernise its military forces, the defence minister said on the occasion of the Army Day which is observed Aug 1 every year.
Minister of National Defense Liang Guanglie made the remarks while celebrating the 84th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA).
“In the world today, peace, development and cooperation remains the trend of the times. However, world peace and development faces multiple challenges. China is going through unprecedented and extensive social changes,” Liang was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
He said the army is facing “more arduous and heavier tasks”, and should stay alert to challenges.
He called for enhancing the capability of the army to accomplish diversified military tasks, with the “capability to win local wars”.
“We will expand and deepen preparedness for military struggle, vigorously carry out military training, promote innovation in defence science and equipment development,” he said.
He called for accelerating modern logistics, intensifying training of “high-calibre” and “new-type” military personnel.
Liang - also a member of the Central Military Commission - said the army will continue to oppose and deter secessionist activities for “Taiwan independence”, and make due contribution to China’s “complete reunification”.
He also pledged to work for long-lasting peace and prosperity of the world.
“We will continue to follow the independent foreign policy of peace, deepen friendly exchanges and cooperation with the armed forces of other countries and contribute to building a harmonious world of enduring peace and common prosperity.”
The PLA, over the past 84 years, has made outstanding contribution to safeguarding the nation’s sovereignty, security and territorial integrity as well as advancing China’s economic and social development, he added.
- China to enhance its armed forces capabilities - Aug 01, 2010
- China, Bangladesh pledge closer military ties - Sep 15, 2011
- High expectations from Chinese minister's India trip: Daily - Sep 05, 2012
- Sri Lanka, China seek to strengthen military ties - Sep 01, 2012
- Chinese defence minister in US to boost military ties - May 11, 2012
- China, Indonesia eye closer military ties - Jan 16, 2012
- Chinese defence minister to visit India - Aug 30, 2012
- 'China, India military exchanges back on track' - Sep 03, 2012
- `Chinese military diplomacy to reduce India's concerns' - Sep 04, 2012
- China's military must be self-reliant, says minister - Dec 29, 2010
- Chinese, US defence chiefs hold talks - Sep 18, 2012
- India, China to resume joint military exercises (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- China, EU vow to strengthen military ties - Oct 24, 2011
- China's defence minister likely to visit India - Jul 31, 2012
- China seeks close military ties with Cuba - Apr 27, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,