China to keep an eye on cosmetic contact lensesJanuary 20th, 2012 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 20 (IANS) China will regulate the production and sale of cosmetic coloured contact lenses by including them in its list of items classified as “medical apparatus”.
Some people wear such non-corrective coloured contact lenses to change or enhance eye colour for cosmetic and fashion purposes, said Xinhua.
As these contact lenses are not for vision correction and medication purposes, they are currently off limits to the country’s medical administration and regulators, said a statement published on the website of the State Food and Drug Administration Thursday.
However, with the increasingly popular use of cosmetic contacts, safety and quality problems due to the regulation loophole are likely to harm consumers’ health, and the administration has decided to expand the current medical regulation on contact lenses to cover cosmetic ones, the statement said.
It explained that the administration will soon issue a notice to ban the manufacture and sale of these contacts without proper registration and licences.
- Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance' can damage eyes - Jul 20, 2010
- Wanna glam up? Go for coloured contact lenses - Nov 12, 2010
- Worn during sleep, special contact lens can correct myopia - May 04, 2011
- Make those eyes lustrous - use eye make-up properly - Jan 15, 2012
- Torn corneas and vision issues follow contact lenses recalls - Oct 11, 2011
- Wearing multifocal contact lenses may reduce vision for driving at night - Nov 04, 2010
- Cataract surgery improves mood, sleep in Alzheimer's - Oct 26, 2011
- US removes ISRO, DRDO from export control list - Jan 25, 2011
- Lady Gaga's Circle Lenses Are Unsafe, Say Optometrists - Jul 07, 2010
- Cola food colouring could cause cancer - Feb 17, 2011
- Brit troops to get stunglasses to resist shotgun blast at point-blank range - Apr 10, 2011
- Popularity of Lady Gaga's "doe-eyed" look raises safety concerns - Jul 08, 2010
- Lady Gaga's big contact lenses pose a risk - Jul 07, 2010
- Statistics can help avoid buying fake goods online - Mar 20, 2011
- Fake cosmetics items seized in Jaipur - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: beijing, china, coloured contact lenses, consumers health, eye colour, fashion, food and drug, food and drug administration, loophole, medical administration, medical apparatus, medical regulation, medication, proper registration, quality problems, regulators, state food, vision correction, xinhua