China to field 639 athletes at Beijing GamesJuly 25th, 2008 - 2:28 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 25 (Xinhua) Hosts China will field its biggest-ever Olympic team of 639 athletes to compete at the Beijing Games starting here Aug 8. The 1099-strong contingent will also include 460 officials, said deputy chef de Mission Duan Shijie.
Men’s 110 metres hurdles Olympic champion Liu Xiang, basketball star Yao Ming and diving queen Guo Jingjing will spearhead squad. China will compete in all the 28 sports.
Shooter Tan Zongliang, 37, is one of the only three athletes, for whom the Beijing Games is the fourth Olympics. The other two are basketball star Li Nan and two time Olympic women’s springboard champion Guo.
Thirty-seven athletes will enjoy their third Games while 165 have been to Athens.
“I’m getting better with good training. All I have to do is beat myself,” said Liu, who became the national hero by winning Chinese men’s first-ever athletics Olympic gold medal in 2004.
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- 29 Olympic champions to spearhead China at London Games - Jul 10, 2012
- China to send 396-strong team to London Olympics - Jul 10, 2012
- China announces largest-ever team for Guangzhou Asian Games - Oct 27, 2010
- Boy from quake-hit zone leads Chinese contingent into arena - Aug 08, 2008
- Star hurdler Liu Xiang wins Kawasaki meet - May 06, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Coach worried about Liu Xiang's foot injury - Aug 03, 2012
- Chinese hurdler Liu hints London Games his last - Feb 18, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Britain's taekwondo athlete Stevenson takes Olympic oath - Jul 28, 2012
- China's star basketballer rules out London Olympics comeback - Sep 29, 2011
- Michael Jordan sues Chinese firm - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: athens, basketball star, beijing, chef de mission, chinese men, contingent, guo jingjing, hurdles, liu xiang, nan, national hero, olympic champion, olympic gold medal, olympic team, olympic women, olympics, shooter, springboard, xinhua, yao ming