China to deploy drones for marine surveillanceAugust 29th, 2012 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 29 (IANS) Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) are to be deployed along China’s coastline to undertake remote-sensing marine surveillance, an official said Wednesday.
The project also includes the construction of 11 UAV bases run by provincial maritime authorities, Xinhua quoted Yu Qingsong, a division chief of the State Oceanic Administration, as saying.
No further details on the scale or the schedule of the project were provided, but Yu noted that at least one drone would be stationed at each base.
A related trial programme was launched in late 2011, when China’s northeast Liaoning province successfully took aerial photos with rented drones on a 980-square-km sea area.
Authorities said they could use the high-definition photos to discover illegal land reclamation and sand dredging as well as monitor marine environments along the coast and on islets.
A separate test on a drone-based 3D monitoring system was also conducted earlier this year by the maritime authority in east China’s Jiangsu province.
- Beijing Police may use drones during emergencies - May 13, 2011
- China to monitor radiation in water around n-plants - Jan 18, 2012
- China tightens nuke safety ahead of storms - Jun 23, 2011
- Indian-run New Zealand firm designs UAV for cloud seeding - Mar 26, 2012
- Indian Navy's UAV crashes (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- China's first aircraft carrier begins sea trial - Aug 10, 2011
- Typhoon Muifa: China evacuates 206,000, issues red alert (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- UK police plans to use unmanned drones for routine monitoring - Jan 23, 2010
- Russian army to get first indigenous UAV in 2014 - Jun 29, 2012
- Russia to test first combat drone in 2014 - Apr 20, 2012
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- No blind support to corporates, says Andhra police chief - Dec 30, 2011
- Navy commissions UAV squadron in Gujarat - Jan 17, 2011
- Crackdown on illegal mining in China - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: aerial photos, beijing, coastline, definition photos, division chief, drone, drones, east china, high definition, jiangsu province, land reclamation, liaoning province, marine environments, maritime authorities, maritime authority, monitoring system, sea area, state oceanic administration, unmanned aerial vehicles, xinhua