China to construct new panda breeding base in SichuanApril 19th, 2009 - 3:51 pm ICT by ANI
Chengdu (China), Apr.19 (ANI): China has announced plans to construct a new breeding center for giant pandas around May to replace the former quake-leveled habitat in southwestern Sichuan Province.
Xinhua, the official news agency quoted officials as saying that the new China Giant Panda Protection and Research Center will be located in the Huangcaoping area, about 10 kilometers from the former one.
The new base would come up in the Wolong nature reserve that was wrecked by the 8.0-magnitude earthquake in May 2008, said Huang Jianhua, the Party chief of the nature reserve administration.
The new base includes 25 projects funded by Hong Kong, totaling about 1.3 billion Yuan (about 191 million U.S. dollars), and 19 projects funded by the state forestry administration, totaling about 270 million Yuan.
A panda disease control and prevention center is also in the pipeline and is to be completed in 2010 in Dujiangyan, a city near the Sichuan provincial capital, Chengdu.
There are about 1,590 pandas living in the wild around the country, mostly in Sichuan and the northwestern provinces of Shaanxi and Gansu. Another 180 are being bred in captivity. (ANI)
- China marks 140th anniversary of Giant Panda's discovery - Aug 16, 2009
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- China loans two pandas to Canada - Feb 12, 2012
- China creates special hospital for pandas - May 05, 2011
- Want to be a panda keeper? - Sep 28, 2010
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- Pandas sent to the wild in China - Jan 12, 2012
- Panda still endangered despite baby boom - Sep 03, 2010
- China releases pregnant pandas into the wild - Jul 26, 2010
- Artificial insemination planned for mainland's giant panda in Taiwan - Feb 11, 2011
- Who wants to be a Chinese 'pambassador'? - Aug 20, 2010
- China starts panda census - Jun 28, 2011
- Chinese pandas seen eating bones rather than bamboo - Mar 02, 2010
- Chinese pandas spotted eating bones rather than bamboo (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Mar 02, 2010
- Panda numbers increase in China - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: breeding center, captivity, chengdu china, disease control and prevention, dujiangyan, giant panda, giant pandas, magnitude earthquake, official news, pandas, party chief, prevention center, provincial capital, shaanxi, sichuan chengdu, sichuan province, state forestry administration, wolong nature reserve, xinhua, yuan