China to broadcast spacewalk liveSeptember 26th, 2008 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 26 (Xinhua) China will broadcast live the spacewalk by one of its astronauts aboard the Shenzhou spacecraft now in orbit, according to Wang Zhaoyao, spokesperson of the manned space programme. The spacewalk, or extra-vehicular activity (EVA), slated for 4.30 p.m. Saturday will last about 30 minutes, he told a press conference here Friday.
One of the three astronauts aboard the Shenzhou 7 spacecraft, Zhai Zhigang, Liu Boming and Jing Haipeng, will undertake the spacewalk, Wang said.
According to the schedule, the astronauts would finish testing the space suits at 1 a.m. Saturday when the spacecraft completes 19 orbits around the earth, he said.
Then they would begin a 100-minute warm-up in the orbital module before undertaking the spacewalk, he said.
The Shenzhou spaceship, the country’s third manned space flight, was launched Thursday from Jiuquan satellite launch centre in the Gansu province in nothwest and is considered as an important step to China’s plan for a space station.
- China launches Shenzhou-9 with first woman astronaut - Jun 16, 2012
- Chinese astronauts test suit for spacewalk mission - Sep 26, 2008
- Chinese space module gets first-ever residents (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Liu is first Chinese woman in space - Jun 16, 2012
- China to send first woman astronaut into space - Jun 15, 2012
- Chinese spacecraft docks with orbiting module - Jun 24, 2012
- China's manned spacecraft docks with space module - Jun 18, 2012
- Space economy will boom in China, says daily - Jun 18, 2012
- Chinese astronauts return to Earth - Jun 29, 2012
- China to launch spacecraft for manned space docking - Jun 09, 2012
- In a first, Chinese women enrol to become astronauts (Lead) - Sep 17, 2009
- China's space programme has no military purpose - Nov 19, 2011
- Chinese astronauts return home after landmark spacewalk (Lead) - Sep 28, 2008
- China prepares for manned space docking this year - Mar 01, 2012
- China to launch unmanned space module - Sep 20, 2011