China to be stern on illegal transmission of OlympicsJuly 8th, 2008 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 8 (IANS) Chinese authorities will take strict measures to prevent unauthorized companies and individuals from broadcasting Olympic events, an official from the National Copyright Administration of China (NCAC) said. “No website, mobile phone platform or individual is permitted to transmit audio and video information regarding the Beijing Olympic Games or events within the mainland without a copyright or copyright holders’ authorizations,” Xu Chao, deputy director of the copyright management department of the NCAC, was quoted as saying in China Daily.
Webcasts of Olympic-related programmes have become commonplace since the Olympic torch gathering ceremony March 24 and the ensuing torch relay, Xu said, adding that the administration, together with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and copyright holders, are monitoring illegal transmissions on domestic websites.
Penalties include warnings, orders to delete unlicenced content, fines, the shutting down of servers and confiscation of facilities and equipment, Xu said.
Olympic Games events that will be protected include audio and video content of 3,800 hours of Olympic events, the opening and closing ceremonies, test events, cultural events before and after the Olympics, Olympic flame gathering and torch relays.
The IOC has awarded the TV broadcast and cable rights for the mainland and the Macao special administrative region to China Central Television, and that for new media to CCTV.
- China to prohibit illegal broadcasts during Olympics - Jul 08, 2008
- China to curb illegal Olympic broadcasts - Aug 05, 2008
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- UN chief to carry Olympic torch - Jul 25, 2012
- 13 mn illegal publications seized in China - Sep 04, 2011
- China deletes 400,000 weblinks for copyright violation - Nov 10, 2011
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Abhishek Bachchan to attend Olympics - Aug 05, 2012
- Drogba to run in Olympic torch relay - May 23, 2012
- Russian woman sentenced to death in China - Nov 27, 2011
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- China orders 15 websites to remove videos - Sep 16, 2010
- China sets up office for Internet information management - May 04, 2011
Tags: administrative region, broadcast and cable, cable rights, ceremony march, china central television, chinese authorities, copyright administration, copyright management, illegal transmission, international olympic committee, management department, ncac, olympic events, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic torch, strict measures, test events, torch relay, tv broadcast