China to airlift pandas from quake-hit areasMay 23rd, 2008 - 1:00 am ICT by admin
Beijing, May 22 (Xinhua) China will airlift eight pandas from the quake-hit Sichuan province to a zoo in Beijing, a panda protection research centre official said Thursday. The Southern Airlines (CSA) is scheduled to airlift the pandas to the national capital Saturday in a bid to provide a better breeding and recovery environment to the endangered animals, Liu Shaoyong, the manager of panda protection research centre, said.
Currently, the pandas live in a centre in Wolong, 30 km from the epicentre of the killer earthquake that hit the southwestern Sichuan province May 12.
Liu did not say when the pandas would be returned to the Wolong centre, which was home to 53 giant pandas.
The quake had killed five personnel at the centre. Two pandas were injured and six went missing, four of whom were subsequently traced.
There are about 1,590 pandas living in the wild in China, mostly in Sichuan and the northwestern provinces of Shaanxi and Gansu. Another 180 have been bred in captivity.
- China loans two pandas to Canada - Feb 12, 2012
- China marks 140th anniversary of Giant Panda's discovery - Aug 16, 2009
- China to construct new panda breeding base in Sichuan - Apr 19, 2009
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- China braces for heavy rains - May 20, 2012
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- Panda still endangered despite baby boom - Sep 03, 2010
- China releases pregnant pandas into the wild - Jul 26, 2010
- China's 'spoilt' pandas - Jun 18, 2011
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- 4.5-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 02, 2011
- Panda numbers increase in China - Dec 17, 2011
- China creates special hospital for pandas - May 05, 2011
- Chinese pandas are Scotland's new celebrity couple - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: airlift, beijing, captivity, china, csa, endangered animals, epicentre, giant pandas, killer earthquake, liu, panda, pandas, quake, recovery environment, shaanxi, sichuan province, southern airlines, xinhua, zoo