China to adjust Olynmpic torch relay in quake-hit areasMay 22nd, 2008 - 4:37 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 22 (Xinhua) The Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG) said Thursday the relay route of the Olympic torch now in China will be adjusted because of the devastating May 12 earthquake in southwestern province of Sichuan. The relay in the quake-hit Sichuan, which was scheduled between June 15 and June 18, has been postponed to Aug 3 and Aug 5 before the torch is taken to Beijing, officials with the BOCOG said.
The relay was suspended during the three days of national mourning May 19-21 for the victims of the earthquake. It resumed in Ningbo city of east China’s Zhejiang province Thursday.
The 8.0-magnitude earthquake, the strongest in decades, has claimed more than 41,000 lives, according to the government estimate.
The BOCOG said in a statement on its website that “the relay will be closely related with the disaster relief work”.
A minute’s silence will be observed before the relay starts at every leg to mourn the victims. Donation boxes will placed along the relay route.
Chinese netizens have proposed that surviving children of the earthquake light the Olympic cauldron, the Beijing News reported, while others countered that it may only add to their grief.
The BOCOG officials said they have yet to decide on who will light the flame at the opening ceremony or whether to mourn the quake dead on the occasion, the report said.
- China readjusts Olympic torch relay route following quake - May 22, 2008
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
- Air China opens flight to Mumbai - May 02, 2012
- Fishing boats with 200 people missing off China coast - Aug 06, 2011
- China offers aid to quake- hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- China builds world's longest sea-link bridge - May 11, 2011
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Two dead, 100 injured in China quake - Jun 24, 2012
- Hailstorms in China leave 29 dead, devastate homes - Apr 22, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympic torch ends longest-ever relay - Aug 08, 2008
- Drogba to run in Olympic torch relay - May 23, 2012
- 'Olympics, torch relay not to be affected by earthquake' - May 13, 2008
Tags: beijing, bocog, disaster relief, donation boxes, east china, government estimate, grief, magnitude earthquake, netizens, olympic cauldron, olympic games, olympic torch, opening ceremony, organizing committee, quake, sichuan, southwestern province, torch relay, xinhua, zhejiang province