China supports peaceful reconstruction in AfghanistanDecember 20th, 2011 - 9:49 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Dec 20 (IANS) China supports a peaceful reconstruction process in which Afghanistan is run and owned by Afghans, the Chinese permanent representative to the UN has said.
Li Baodong made the remarks here while addressing a Security Council meeting on Afghanistan, Xinhua reported.
He told the Council that the Bonn Conference held Dec 5 was an important international meeting since Afghanistan entered the transition period.
The conference achieved positive results and decided that Afghanistan will start a decade of transformation after conclusion of its transition period in 2014 and the international community will continue to provide support and assistance to Afghanistan. China welcomes the decision, said Li.
He noted that the comprehensive stability and reconstruction in Afghanistan will be a long process, which requires unremitting efforts from the Afghan government and its people as well as continued support and assistance from the international community.
“In the withdrawal of troops, the parties concerned must ensure the safety of Afghanistan, proceed in a responsible manner, and further efforts must be made to help Afghanistan enhance capacity building in the security area,” Li said.
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Krishna to pitch for regional approach on Afghanistan - Nov 30, 2011
- More needs to be done in Afghanistan: India to UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Company executives should replace foreign soldiers in Afghanistan' - Jun 28, 2012
- India's security entwined with Afghanistan's stability: Krishna - May 01, 2012
- Ahead of Bonn meet, British AfPak envoy heading to India - Nov 29, 2011
- India to take part in Afghan meet in Germany - May 27, 2011
- Bonn conference stresses on rebuilding Afghanistan - Dec 05, 2011
- After India fires missile, China calls for n-security - Apr 20, 2012
- Iran says no to foreign military in Afghanistan after 2014 - Dec 06, 2011
- India pitches for Marshall Plan-like initiative for Afghanistan - Dec 05, 2011
- India reminds world of cross-border terror faced by Kabul - Jul 08, 2012
- Afghanistan faces existential threat from terror: India (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Afghan situation cause for alarm, concern: UN chief - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: afghan government, afghanistan, afghans, bonn conference, capacity building, china, conclusion, decade, reconstruction, responsible manner, security area, security council, transformation, transition period, united nations, unremitting efforts, xinhua