China starts constructing third-generation nuclear reactorsApril 20th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 20 (ANI): China has started the construction of its first third-generation pressurized water reactors using AP 1000 technologies developed by US-based Westinghouse.
The reactors, located in Sanmen of east China’s Zhejiang Province, will also be the first in the world using such technologies.
The Sanmen Nuclear Power Plant will be built in three phases, with an investment of more than 5.88 billion dollars injected in the first phase, Xinhua reported.
The first phase project will include two units each with a generating capacity of 1.25 million kw. The first generating unit will be put into operation in 2013, and the second, in 2014. The plant will eventually have six such units.
“It is the biggest energy cooperation project between China and the United States,” said Zhang Guobao, Vice Minister in charge of the National Development and Reform Commission and also head of the National Energy Administration.
“It will contribute to the human kind’s peaceful use of nuclear power,” he said.
China launched bidding in 2003 for its nuclear power stations of the third generation. Foreign companies including Westinghouse, France’s Areva and Russia’s AtomStroyExport are major bidders.
Westinghouse became the winner after China signed a memo with the United States on the introduction and transfer of third-generation nuclear power technologies in December 2006. (ANI)
- China builds third generation nuclear reactors - Apr 20, 2009
- China to construct 10 nuclear reactors using 'AP1000' third-generation technology - Jul 06, 2010
- China to bring 3rd generation n-reactors to service in 2013 - Jan 15, 2012
- China expands its oldest n-plant - Apr 09, 2012
- China may approve new nuclear plants - Apr 22, 2011
- 'China to safely develop n-power' (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- China expands its oldest n-power plant - Apr 08, 2012
- China to start work on four nuke plants in 2009 - Dec 31, 2008
- Areva to import critical parts for first nuke units in India - Oct 15, 2010
- China raises investment in nuclear R&D; - Feb 21, 2012
- 'Nuclear power safe in China' - Mar 06, 2012
- Bangladesh signs nuclear power deal with Russia - Feb 25, 2011
- Areva joins Reliance to set up solar power plant - Apr 13, 2012
- Pakistan about to get China's latest n-technology - Sep 19, 2011
- India's first fast breeder reactor to go critical early 2013 - Jan 21, 2012
Tags: areva, atomstroyexport, bidders, billion dollars, china and the united states, cooperation project, east china, energy administration, energy cooperation, national energy, nuclear power plant, nuclear power stations, nuclear reactors, phase project, third generation, vice minister, water reactors, westinghouse france, xinhua, zhejiang province