China stages its biggest maritime rescue exerciseSeptember 4th, 2009 - 12:42 pm ICT by IANS
Ningbo (China), Sep 4 (Xinhua) China’s maritime rescue services staged their biggest exercise so far in the East China Sea Friday by involving 35 ships, three aircraft and 1,000 personnel.
The exercise was jointly held by the Ministry of Transport and east China’s Zhejiang province, said He Yipei, deputy director of the Zhejiang Maritime Safety Administration.
The exercise began at 9 a.m. off the coast of Ningbo and lasted about an hour.
The exercise simulated a collision between a passenger ship carrying 390 people and a cargo vessel loaded with chemicals, resulting in a fire on the passenger ship and a benzene leak.
Rescuers transferred the people in danger, treated those overcome by fumes, controlled the chemical leak, searched for people in the water, put out the fire and evacuated 16,000 people living along the coast in the area of the exercise.
Only one passenger “died” in the “accident”.
“The exercise was successful,” said Xu Zuyuan, vice minister of transport and director of the China Maritime Search and Rescue Center.
He said the exercise also tested the country’s maritime security for the Shanghai World Expo in 2010, which is expected to attract 70 million visitors from May 1 to Oct 31 next year.
The exercise site was Fodu harbour, at Ningbo-Zhoushan port.
“It is not only one of the busiest navigation channels in the world, but also an area that sees frequent maritime accidents and chemical leakages. That is why we chose this area,” Xu said.
- Shanghai closes major bridges as typhoon sweeps past - Aug 07, 2011
- Fishing boats with 200 people missing off China coast - Aug 06, 2011
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- 200,000 evacuated in China in fear of typhoon - Aug 06, 2011
- Several missing as vessels capsize in China - Apr 27, 2010
- China launches its largest patrol vessel - Jul 28, 2012
- Typhoon Muifa: China evacuates 206,000, issues red alert (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- MV Prabhu Daya enroute to Chennai, missing man rescued - Mar 05, 2012
- Chinese student goes blind after blood donation - Jan 07, 2012
- Man on board M.V.Prabhu Daya missing - Mar 04, 2012
- Four die from cyanide poisoning in China - Jun 10, 2012
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012
- 200 rescued in Papua New Guinea ferry disaster (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Indonesia ship fire kills eight (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- Indonesian ship burns after collision, four killed - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,