China slams Clinton’s Tiananmen Square remarksJune 5th, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, June 5 (ANI): China has expressed deep discontent and resolute opposition to US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s call for Beijing to publish the names of those killed or missing in the Tiananmen crackdown in 1989.
Clinton has urged China to openly look into the June 3-4, 1989, incident and give an accounting of those killed, missing or detained during the military crackdown.
During a press meet here on Wednesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said his country expressed deep discontent and resolute opposition to her remarks.
“As to the political turmoil and problems that happened in the late 1980s, the Communist Party of China and the Chinese government have already made a clear conclusion,” China Daily quoted him as, saying.
He said facts had proven the path of socialism with Chinese characteristics suited the national conditions of China and complied with the fundamental interests of the overwhelming majority of the Chinese people.
Clinton’s statement said the 20th anniversary provides an opportunity for Chinese authorities to release from prison all those still serving sentences and urged China to give the same importance to protecting human rights and democratic development as it does its economic reform.
Gang further urge the US to put aside its political prejudices and correct its wrong-doings so as to avoid interfering with and damaging Sino-US relations. (ANI)
- China urges US to stop meddling on Tibet - Mar 29, 2012
- China urges Japan to stop territorial sovereignty violations - Aug 17, 2012
- First Sino-US joint university to start - Mar 29, 2012
- China criticises US Congress resolution on Taiwan - Mar 26, 2009
- China silent on anniversary of 1989 crackdown (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- James Cameron to co-produce 3D film in China - Aug 09, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- China opposes US-Taiwan relations - Jul 19, 2012
- China condemns French honor for Dalai Lama - Jun 10, 2009
- China summons US ambassador over Obama-Dalai Lama meeting (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- China pledges to work with United States on Iran sanctions - Apr 13, 2010
- US official in China for Korean Peninsula solutions - Jan 06, 2011
- China appreciates Obama's "positive remarks" on Sino-U.S. relations - Mar 30, 2010
- China expresses "deep concern" over US-ROK September military drills - Jul 22, 2010
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: 20th anniversary, china daily, china slams, chinese authorities, chinese characteristics, chinese foreign ministry spokesman, chinese government, communist party of china, democratic development, doings, economic reform, foreign ministry spokesman, fundamental interests, hillary clinton, military crackdown, political turmoil, qin, resolute opposition, tiananmen crackdown, tiananmen square