China sentences one to death for Tibet riotsApril 21st, 2009 - 4:04 pm ICT by IANS
Lhasa, April 21 (Xinhua) A Chinese court has sentenced one man to death with a two-year reprieve and two to long jail terms for starting fires that killed six people in riots in Lhasa in March 2008, the Tibet Daily reported Tuesday.
A spokesman of the Lhasa Municipal Intermediate People’s Court told the newspaper that a man identified as Penkyi received suspended death penalty for starting fires in two downtown clothing shops March 14.
“These arsons were among the worst crimes. They led to the extremely serious consequences, resulted in great loss of life and property and severely undermined social order, security and stability,” the spokesman said.
The court found two other people guilty of arson. One was sentenced to life imprisonment and the other was jailed for 10 years.
The spokesman said the trials had been open and strictly followed the Criminal Procedure Law of the People’s Republic of China. The defendants were provided with Tibetan language interpreters and their attorneys had expressed their arguments in full.
The report did not say when the sentences were delivered nor did it give other details of the defendants and their arguments.
On April 8, the court sentenced two people to death, two to suspended death penalty and one to life in prison on charges of arson causing death in the Tibet riots. The five were convicted of torching five shops in Lhasa, killing seven people, during the March 14 riot.
- Two sentenced to death for Tibet riots - Apr 08, 2009
- China sentences four Tibetans to death for March 2008 Lhasa riots - Apr 09, 2009
- China secretly executes four Tibetan protesters for role in Lhasa riots: Report - Oct 23, 2009
- Chinese brothers, father get death sentence for fraud - Nov 07, 2011
- Action against 113 in China's tainted pork scandal - Nov 26, 2011
- Godhra train carnage sentencing March 1 (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Death sought for Godhra train burning convicts (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Three drug traffickers get death in China - Apr 11, 2012
- China jails Tibetan property tycoon for life - Aug 13, 2010
- Four drug gang members get death penalty in China - Dec 26, 2010
- China sentences 58 in mine landslide case - Sep 30, 2010
- Chinese gets death sentence for killing 11 people - Jul 28, 2012
- Ex-Chinese land official gets death penalty - Dec 30, 2011
- China for caution over death penalty - May 25, 2011
- Godhra train burning case sentencing March 1 (Third Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: arson, arsons, china sentences, chinese court, clothing shops, death penalty, fires, jail terms, language interpreters, life imprisonment, life in prison, order security, reprieve, republic of china, riot, riots, spokesman, tibet, tibetan language, xinhua